• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

mono leaders for muskies?

I was at Gander Mt looking for some leaders and I came across some 100lb mono leaders for muskie fishing. The package said this leader was better that wire leaders. No ball bearing swivel, just tied, but thought it interesting that mono would be used for a muskie leader, thought it was cool so I bought one, hey, only 4 bucks. Any thoughts? Can you still run bucktails on these?

Hiya -

Guys on Lake St. Clair have run hard mono leaders for muskies for years, and saltwater guys do it all the time for all sorts of stuff. I'd be leery of anything less than 100#, based on my experiences with lighter fluoro, but other than that...

Personally, I'd only use it on something like bucktails rather than something erratic or baits they typically head-hunt like jerkbaits or cranks.

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

Yeah, I have a couple 110 yard packs of 100 lb mono leader material. I have started tying a few up and will probably use them for bucks like RK said. Spinnerbaits would probably be alright on them too if you choose to use one at all with a spinnerbait. I will stick to wire for most other baits.