• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Red fox pup . . . a series (more pics added)

I went looking for rare orchids in the Superior National Forest yesterday. Didn't find any. But you know, if you get skunked in one arena it seems nature delivers in another.

Please excuse the imperfect light and the OOF foreground grass in some of the images. Wanted to manage the scene a bit more but didn't dare. There were two pups at least, and I'll be back to do some more in-depth work.

All with 30D and 400 f5.6L, iso200, 1/500 and 1/640 at f5.6, tripod, +2/3 EC off evaluative metering

First contact

2546666596_b6fe0511ca_o.jpg

Durn those durn fleas!

2546667932_8b5902616b_o.jpg

Durn those durn fleas II!

2546665922_1121851957_o.jpg

You down there, my brother?

2545846233_a39c6e45b4_o.jpg

Still checking me out

2545843739_41fc1d1ab3_o.jpg

Mmmm, mmmm GOOD!

2546668524_3d86ace14f_o.jpg

All worn out

2545845587_706af97ee8_o.jpg

Interesting series, well done and sharp per your usual, I cannot remember seeing red fox pups at that age I wouldn't have expected the dark coloration. I will certainly look forward to seeing more of these guys.

Thanks, everyone. The pup images were captured about 4 to 4:30 p.m. Luckily, while the sun was still high, it was weak behind light clouds, and shadows/highlights in Photoshop was able to recover some decent shadow detail.

DMN, good eye. Big fat tick it is!

Much more even light today. In fact, perfect diffuse light, but of course the pups didn't show. I just got home. Left when the clouds made things too dark. Mom did pay the den a visit, and likely left word that the pups better darn well stay home.

Here's mom.

Who's that?

2548060413_72e90ee38f_o.jpg

Heading in anyway

2548061133_2c4b5104d3_o.jpg

Keep your butts in the house!

2548062351_5be0d5e9b3_o.jpg

That'll fix THEM!

2548888692_22a709c811_o.jpg

Thanks, Mike.

HH, we'll see how the pups turn out. Both were this dark. I saw them both out of the den but only one came out while I was shooting. Could be more of a cross phase, which means they'll stay fairly dark, especially considering the pelage of the parent.

But we'll see. The youngsters will grow and change quite a bit before fall and winter.

Say Steve, maybe it is my imagination, but I thought I saw some dark dust spots on those first few shots. Great capture but maybe you caugght some dust. ( I think)

Super series! The mother is sweet looking-lots of colors.

Quote:
Say Steve, maybe it is my imagination, but I thought I saw some dark dust spots on those first few shots.

I thought that too,but on further inspection I think those are deer flies or similar?

Dust spots on the sensor most often show up as circular opaque specks, not small black sharp blotches.

These are in fact flies. They are called sand flies by Ely natives. Called black flies by people who are not Ely area locals, and buffalo gnats by people in North Dakota, where I grew up.

They suck, whether you are fox, friend or foe. I definitely had as many swarming around my head as the fox did. gringrin

Thanks again, everyone.

Actually, Buzz, I didn't find it. Another wildlife photographer did. I was guiding him for a day a couple weeks back and I ran into him later and he told me about the den and where it is.

Nice guy! gringrin

It'll likely be there again next year if the adults stay alive through winter. There are three or four old, unoccupied den holes in the same small area, so they like the spot, which has nice soft sandy/gravel earth perfect for digging.

Steve all the shots are just to cool. To capture such a spooky and cautious animal is amazing. I like that fact that you do have the flies all around even thou it may take a little away from the shots it is still all part of mother nature's big plan. You must have had a net over your head or you would have been carried away grin