• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Will a stereo affect my catfishing?

Big Cat Dad

I own a River Pro boat, which has zero carpeting and is 100% aluminum. I fish 95% of the time for catfish, while the boat is in an anchored position. Logging long hours on the water can get kind of mind numbing at times.

I'm toying with the idea of installing a stereo so I can listen to some tunes on my XM radio. My only issue is the possibility of the sound waves echoing into the water and adversely affecting the fishing.

I know voices aren't supposed to affect fishing; however, speaker vibrations through the boat and into the water could be different.

Does anyone have any experience or advice? Thumbs up or down?

Some of my best fishing is with loud music cranking!

Also it depends on the type of music.....country music will limit catch totals where as heavy metal will increase size and numbers!

Go Metallica!... grin

I was wondering where Pier was?????? confused

Man, a cat fisherman out of my own heart blush

Art Bell gets old, unless he has some weird callers grin

Now, I just have to get my fishing buddy to think the same as Pier whistle.

You got a chuckle out of me Shack. Open line night on a foggy night on the river; tough to beat smile .... cept for some hard rock or better yet good old southern rock.

I always listen to the Twins game on the radio. It seems like every double play the bullheads kind of do the wave from their river bottom seats. They don't seem to like Boof Bonser's pitching either.

Originally Posted By: shackbash

You got a chuckle out of me Shack. Open line night on a foggy night on the river; tough to beat smile .... cept for some hard rock or better yet good old southern rock.

My fav. is when a caller get old Bell interested in a topic and mid stream goes loony on him laugh. It always ends up to be they where probed by aliens wink Also the other guy who host's Coast to Coast on Friday nights get's some "loads" calling in once and a while. I will say, this show keeps one awake driving home also.

I never dreamed in my youth, I would be listening to a show like this.

I always listen to the Twins game on the radio. It seems like every double play the bullheads kind of do the wave from their river bottom seats. They don't seem to like Boof Bonser's pitching either.

Ya, Twins are a must also in my boat! Sucky or no sucky, if there is a game on, my radio is tuned in to it! I think it is something about being down town, on the river and a twins game on, that makes life feel good to be living.

A big Ya on the Boofster's pitching. His appearance match's his pitching grin

Big Cat Dad,

Sorry to steal your thread.

As to the original question asked, I think keeping the radio at moderate volume levels will not have any ill will effects on your fishing.

Heck, I have been skunked many times with no radio on grin

I've been skunked too many times without music to really think it plays a role in the bite. Staying on the topic, I enjoy my Metallica and Pantera at a moderate volume but try to keep the stereo speakers off of the floor. I think this might dampen any vibrations that might be happening with the aluminum. There's nothing better than locking onto a monster with some metal pumping through the stereo. cool

Originally Posted By: JimBuck
There's nothing better than locking onto a monster with some metal pumping through the stereo. cool

Brings back memories of Sturgeon Excursion! Ahhhh memories....

I'm surprised you guys werent playing "love-makin" music based on some of the pics I've seen

LOL..... grin

Go Twins!

Originally Posted By: crazyice
Originally Posted By: JimBuck
There's nothing better than locking onto a monster with some metal pumping through the stereo. cool

Brings back memories of Sturgeon Excursion! Ahhhh memories....

I'm surprised you guys werent playing "love-makin" music based on some of the pics I've seen

grin

Try headphones. No worries about vibrations there.

Crank it up and enjoy yourself.

Sound carries a long way out there on the water, so please, keep it down. The people who are nearby will thank you.

A twins game at really low volume on a transistor radio is probably not going to bother anyone on a sunny afternoon, but a full out stereo cranking metal at 2 in the morning (or anytime on the water in my opinion)is not a good idea. Don't get me wrong,I think sometimes music should hurt. I've seen some shows that would curl your hair. I love a Motorhead concert in an auditorium or club,but not on the river or lake. Please be considerate of others.

Art Bell gets old, unless he has some weird callers...

I never dreamed in my youth, I would be listening to a show like this.

We should go fishing together sometime Shack....I'll bring extra tinfoil for our heads smile .

Now, I would never rule out fishing with ya Slowhand, but I am not a true Coast to Coast Fan grin.

I do how ever know about the tinfoil hats thing though whistle.

It’s my brother in-law that is a die hard fan. He puts up a big fit when the old Coats to Coast comes on and as the good guy I am, let him tune it in. I just end up absorbing the info in, the good, the bad and the ugly.

Low range vibrations do attract catfish. Yet there is certainly a point where it may drive them off too. Moderation may be the key there?

I like a I-Pod or like system for fishing. I keep my eye;s pealed for bites and I'm not [PoorWordUsage]'n off the neighborhood with loud tunes in the night.

Plus that way you keep claim jumpers at bay, from finding you and your spots. wink

I agree with this comment. However, much of the mainstream metal recorded since then has also been incredibly lack-luster and suffers from cookie-cutter production. As far as modern music goes I love some NIN or Tool when I'm feeling heavy on the water.

Getting back on topic; I shy away from headphones for the fact that it disconnects me from my surroundings on the water and I like to still have some awareness as to whats happening around me. I think the key is to listen to music that is recorded with high-fidelity at a respectable volume. This way you can get all the tonal ranges from the music without having to crank it up to hear that raunchy guitar riff or some of the more subtle nuances that occur in a good recording. Avoid MP3's and compressing audio when you can, it makes a BIG difference, if your a sucker for high-fidelity.

Low range vibrations do attract catfish. Yet there is certainly a point where it may drive them off too. Moderation may be the key there?

I like a I-Pod or like system for fishing. I keep my eye;s pealed for bites and I'm not [PoorWordUsage]'n off the neighborhood with loud tunes in the night.

Plus that way you keep claim jumpers at bay, from finding you and your spots. wink

Thanks eddy....good advice. I think I'll probably mount my stereo and speakers on the center consol. I know Rusty had a similar system on his River Pro and didn't seem to affect things. I won't be "Jammin" to the music and will listen at moderate levels. I do know, I won't have to worry about disturbing people on the water...we're the only ones on the water almost every time.

Montana is like my own personal catfishing paradise.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

I had a fellow RiverRat show me something he just built the other day.

It’s basically a big Stanley toolbox (thick plastic) that has nice hinges. He installed a marine radio and speakers on the front and made it literally into a “boombox”.

He installed an onboard charger and battery right into the box. There is still plenty of room for dry storage and odds and ends.

Great idea and it turned out awesome. All self sustained and it’s portable.