• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Battery Charging Question

Juan Grande

Question

I had my starter battery on a 10 amp charger last night and forgot to take it off before I went to bed. It was on there for almost 12 hours and the charger does not have an automatic shut off.

The battery was pretty drained when I put it on there, but I'm wondering if I did any damage by leaving it on there so long?

7 answers to this question

My guess it that it should be fine. I have regularly charged starting type and deep cycle batteries for 12 or more hours with no problem before I got a good charger. If you left it on for more than a day you may have an issue. Check it for fluid to make sure none boiled off. If it is low add DISTILLED water.

Yeah, I'm not sure why the battery died. I was fishing and I went to turn the motor over and nothing. I ended up hooking it up to one of the deep cycles.

I charged it when I took it out of storage for the winter, but I guess not enough. My LMS-332 runs off the starter and must have drained it down. I haven't had my outboard running much this spring to charge it back up while on the water.

How will I know if the battery is toast? It won't hold the charge for as long as it should or what?

Take it out and charge it up. Check the voltage after you've charged it and then let it sit for 24 hours and check it again. If there is a drop in voltage there's a problem. If it won't take a charge about 12.4 volts you have a problem. Before you dump it do as Whoaru99 suggests and have it load tested at a garage.

Well, you have to be a little careful on checking the voltage.

Normally, the battery will come off a charge and hold a high surface charge. This should be burnt off by applying a light/moderate load for a couple of minutes. Then, let the battery rest for 15 minutes or so and check the voltage. In a perfect scenario, it should be around 12.6 volts after this type of cycle.

That's a good point. Even a rather low charged battery may show good potential without a load applied. Best to test under a load. It doesn't take much load to show a problem either. A light bulb might be adequate.

Bob