• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

89 evinrude

Question

my old rudy conched out on me A couple weeks. I got no spark. So i assume the cdi module which is also known as alot of other things but I just call it the spark regulator. Any way do you guys think that it is a good idea to just go buy the part and put it in. What are some of the things that cause the module to go bad?

9 answers to this question

First to check: there is a fuse on the motor that will control that too. For the cdi box, they do go out, should be around 120? or so. Weak coils also draw more on the box, and they are not that much. If it were me, i would replace them too if i were keeping the motor for some time.

thanks for tyhe ideas guys but you're going to have to keep them coming. I had to go boatless for labor day weekend. I would hate to have to pay 75 bucks an hour just to find out that a wire went bad. A bad coil wouldn't effect all three pistons. Or would it? I'm still trying to find some kind of fuse.

Boy it sure is a good thing you did'nt take it to a dealer and have it looked at. They probably would have troubleshot in a half hour. Heck then they might have found a loose wire and charged a few bucks to fix it. Boy are you lucky! This way you did'nt have to trailer to the lake and spend valuable time fishing and relaxing. Think of the money you saved on gas and bait! No trolling, no casting, no fish to clean, some people have all the luck!!!!

Ok, if it's a Evinrude and you said it has 3 cylinders, that means is a 70hp or around that range from mid '70s and up (since it has powerpack), this helps a lot when asking for help (you know....they make a lot of 'rudes... wink.gif ).

Anyway, check 3 wires coming from powerpack to coils, there is a connector, is it plugged in ? I had a 70hp which was running like dump, problem was this plug was melted on back and shorting the 3 wires.
You can check with a manual how to test powerpack, before you buy it, they are not cheap. You can try to unplug big red plug from main harness, then use a jumper wire from + of battery cable to solenoid wire.
BEWARE this will start motor if you have spark, keep hands away from anything and you'll have to choke it to kill it, BEWARE.

Best way is to disconnect all spark plug wires and check for spark when you crank.
If you have spark there is a short somewhere on the kill switch (which grounds powerpack).

Hope this will give some help.

Val

No, a bad coil will not affect all three cylinders.

Power Packs go bad suddenly on those motors, and can last anywhere from 1 year to 20 years, used often or not.

The pack will run you a pretty penny, since it is a triple. Check Napa Auto first before going to a Johnson/Rude dealer.

PCG

Jeeze...Look at all the help. These are all wonderful ideas and I appreciate all of it, But today I learned a simple lesson "Don't go jumping to conclusions and making the worst out of things." I checked everything on this motor with no prevail. I was even a little embarassed to ask you guys. I know my way around a set of pistons. Any way I went out and bought the cdi out of pure frustration. It was only 92 bucks (thats the cheapest Ive ever heard) I put that bugger in there and still had nothing. As I lay my head down on the side of the boat to rest my aching head,.....I find myself staring directly at the problem........THE FOCKING TETHER CORD AND CLIP WERE GONE. I don't know where the thing could be. But i went out and bought a six dollar tether cord and off she went. I still think my significant other rigged it, preventing me from fishing. You guys can all learn from my mistake.