Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SteveD

Nice St Croix Flathead

11 posts in this topic

The St Croix was beautiful last night and the fish were biting. Finally had a clear, calm evening so I thought I would jump on the opportunity to chase some flats. The weather for the upcoming week sounds like it could be a little unsettled with rain forecasted most every day.

The water temp was 65 degrees and the pool elevation is 677.4' and rising slightly from last nights rains. There is a bit of grass and moss floating in the current and it screws up your line every 10 minutes or so. It keeps you busy cleaning your line and resetting baits. Poor bullheads all had concussions from being cast so much.

I have a spot I call the Patience Hole because it will give up a nice fish every now and again but you just have to be patient with it and spend some hours on it. Well the Patience Hole spit out a beauty within 15 minutes of setting up. I had hooks in the water around 7:45 pm and had a screaming clicker run at 8:04 pm and this guy spent about 15 minutes trying to pull me out of the boat. I was all by myself and I wasn't quite ready to deal with a big fish when he hit. I was bobbing and weaving with the landing net and the rod but I finally managed to get him in the net.

I had him sitting on the floor and I was kind of shaking from the rush of the fish. I managed to flag down a passing boat and talk them into taking some pictures for me. Here are a few photos. He measured 44" in length and 32" in girth and weighed 47.6 lbs on my digital scale.

That was it for the night but it was worth it. I quit about 10:30. No Twins game on the radio tonight - I may just have to fish in the rain this week - I've got the flathead fishing bug bad.

6-1-0847LbFlat2.jpg

Nice fish!

Nice flat dude!

When I was on the Croix last weekend, I was looking threw a stack of photo's the captain of the boat I was in had taken and got developed from last year. A couple where about the same size and same color. That fish is true Croix colors.

The Croix holds some nice fish!

Thanks for the report and image Steve!

WTG Steve!

Your efforts are paying off.

Put some bells on the rod tip and you could nap in that boat! Nice fish and picture.

Great fish Steve....what a beauty...is that the biggest channel and biggest flathead now for the Kotc? nice

Good looking flathead. Those pomtoons make the long waits a bit more comfortable.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Yep, I have noticed that too. That is a good thing to have in your back pocket in playoffs and you get caught in your zone for an icing or who knows what reason where you cannot switch lines OR just to have flexibility with matchups line vs line, but faceoff on one side vs the other.
    • Meh, his exacts words were " I tried to set myself on fire."   Setting yourself a blaze is fairly simple and effective if you want to be on fire.   I'll put him in the bat poop crazy, drama queen Zoloft category along with a former girlfriend.   You know, the one that chokes down a handful of Bayer and chases it with a fifth of vodka then proceeds to call 911 right after. Then everyone has to listen why, all the while there was no real danger.   
    • To be honest, I think of the cross as representing a burial site of a fallen soldier.  I don't necessarily even think religion when I look at the thing. In my opinion it is not even a religious symbol in that context. But that's just me.
    • The reversible plank is what they were carrying when I picked it up.  I've just been calling it carsiding because it's what most people are more familiar with.    I have that all stained and polyurethaned on the smooth side.  To me the bead side looks kind of dated.
    • Something else to keep in mind. When I was bow hunting I learned judging distance is not as easy as one might think. The bow I used was not super fast so judging a deer to be at 30 yards when it was really 40 yards would mean missing.    In my experience, we over-estimate distance sometimes by quite a lot on open areas such as open fields or on a lake. On an open area one doesn't have anything to provide a size reference so we tend to think objects are closer than they really are. Sometimes we can be off by quite a bit.   It works just the opposite in the forest where we have lots of references for size. Most of the time when a guy says he shot his deer from 50 yards it is probably a good bet that it was not quite that far. Personally, I don't like to get too close to anyone else. When on open water I rarely fish where others are. This can sometimes work against me as there is probably a reason for them being there. When ice fishing I try to stay 50 yards or more away from others. At the very least, I don't want to be close enough that our lines could become crossed when handling fish. 
    • Exactly.     We don't need to compete with Christians and their War on Xmas for the King Crybaby award.
    • Unfortunately he is still in the gene pool. He suffered non-life threatening 3rd degree burns to his back. 
    • Like politics, fishing spots, antler size and Vexilar being better than Marcum?   Just the way I like it.
    • This. I am an atheist but I don't understand why these atheist groups feel the need to blow-up petty things like this. I think it brings more of a bad name to atheists more than it does anything else. 
    • Relax man. Did you read the story or listen to the video? I titled the thread Freedom FROM Religion because that's the name of the national organization that is causing all the ruckus.     But my point still stands. If religious symbols are allowed to be placed on public property my guess is the same people who are offended by having to take down the cross would also be offended by a Muslim, Jewish or Buddhist symbol being placed on that same property.    All I am saying is be careful of what you ask for.
  • Our Sponsors