• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

couple Custom topwaters

Quote:
Thats pretty interesting because I thought the point of DCG at night was the big blades making those big low frequency thumps.

yes, designed to alert the fish it's there. remember your not throwing just a couple spinner blades when you fish them. there's other hardware on the bait too. just the clevis spinning on the wire throws out another sound. beads clacking, hook movement, all of it is felt by a fish. i try and consider this when i'm fishing at night with lures. i rattle it if it's new and listen for high pitch pings and low pitch gongs. those are my night lures. you said your kind of new. you seem pretty in touch, you'll be ok. keep listening and reading here. these guy's seem ready to help. i should mention... it seems to me when those blades hit each other i hear a nice tone too. what you think, anyone?

Cant really help much seeing how Im deaf LOL grin Basically I go by the feeling I get in the rod handle... I can really feel the thumps of dcgs, pacemakers, and super humpers... crankbaits gives out nice vibration... but noise-wise... outta luck!!!

Quote:
Basically I go by the feeling I get in the rod handle

which is basicly how a lateral line works smile hold a DCG by the tie loop and the hook and spin it. you'll feel a faster vibration of the clevis than a blade makes when it's moving water and thumping at your handle. faster vibration is higher pitch, slower is lower pitch. i have no doubt you know the old ''vary your retrieve'' to entice a strike, the different speeds emmulate injured prey, and trigger a fishes attack, feeding instinct.. i've believed now for years that a varied retrieve has a-lot to do with a fish hitting because of the different frequency in vibrations created by those actions. that, IMO makes a fish strike as much or more than instinct and injury. maybe not so much compel them but help them locate the bait, which actually is more important than anything IMHO. same with rattles. but thats another story, for a rainy day.

anyway, feeling sound vibrations is a tool your probably very adept at because of your being deaf. even more so than hearing folk. would be interesting to me if you'd let me help you understand the different sounds created by different vibrations. if your interested then maybe when you pick up your lures...?

We had a somewhat similar discussion Sunday on the water.....action was slow obviously.

Look at the size of the 10 or 12 blades in comparison to the blades on the prop of say a 6-Horse motor. Closer than you think..... Granted they are at far different angles off the axis point, but the point of how much water these bladed moves baits comes more apparent.

Quote:
Very nice looking topwaters, I'll be in touch!

just so you know anything you could have seen does'nt even scratch the surface of what i've done over the years. i tell people ''if you can think it, i think it can be done''. so if you have a ''thing'' your thinking of, ask. anyway i want to mention also that i have 3 of my own unique top water lures i've tested and they work great. two were in the works for two years, one for a year, i've got another 18'' lure, kind of looks similar to the wishmaster but with different properties, that needs more testing before it's do-able. i've got a tablet full of other ideas written down but i need time to make them and test. i want all four out next spring but realisticly... i want to get two out in the coming spring at area stores, and two out the next spring. i'll be making them all summer and winter to get an inventory. only thing is i aint fishing like i want mad .

Quote:
Look at the size of the 10 or 12 blades in comparison to the blades on the prop of say a 6-Horse motor. Closer than you think..... Granted they are at far different angles off the axis point, but the point of how much water these bladed moves baits comes more apparent.

thanks alot... i just hope i can keep this think attack at bay now. that wasn't very nice. cry

Well, Rolf passed away this winter so there is a void in the big bait making world along the Wishmaster lines.

Quote:
thanks alot... i just hope i can keep this think attack at bay now. that wasn't very nice.

Sorry 'bout that, but you see my point, eh? An 8-Horse kicker can move a 2500lb rig at 4mph at relatively low RPMs with minimal square inches of prop, same goes for a trolling motor with only 2 blades. So, how much water and acoustic waves are these 10s and 12s and 13s moving and producing?

Like I said, it was a slow day and we got to thinking...likely the first mistake!

Quote:
So, how much water and acoustic waves are these 10s and 12s and 13s moving and producing?

ok... i'll bite grin ... the speed of sound through the air is 1130 fps, or 770 mph, and is not considered to be absolutly constant. in water on the other hand sound travels at a speed of 4800 fps, more than 4 times that through the air and is considered completely constant. also no one really knows how far sound travels for sure under water but their is documentation of whales communicating from virtually across the globe. it's theory based on migration and whales basicly starting a journey at the same time.

based on this i'm thinking the amount of accoustics produced is far less important than the actual frequencies that same accoustic is producing. mainly because even with a very light accoustic it will be felt as a constant vibration by the lateral line from any distance no matter the amount of accoustic produced. grin whew!!! glad that's over ... back to work.

i'll get a few more topwaters up in a couple days. as i've mentioned before i lost about 99% of all my prior works pictures, and other data so i'm making all of them again from memory. all are unique but almost what the originals were. see ya.

i did identical posts for must keep colors. 11 forums in all from the metro north to LOTW. the winning colors after 24 hours was black and orange. so i figured i'd pull one of my favorite lures from my private stash and share it. i call it ''Star Factory''. first i'll appologize for the amount of pics, it's just got so many angles it took 10 to get most of it. lures like this take an extrordinary long time to complete. i hope you like it. it's not all blk/orng. in fact it's a meld of 11 colors but dominant blk/orng. very nice contrast i think...

DSC00362-1.jpg

DSC00363-1.jpg

DSC00366-1.jpg

DSC00367-1.jpg

DSC00368-1.jpg

DSC00369-1.jpg

DSC00370-1.jpg

DSC00371-1.jpg

DSC00372-1.jpg

DSC00373-1.jpg

Quote:
well rolf passed away...

yes i know. sad deal. was only in his 50's too. true artist... personally i'll miss looking at his beautiful works of art. humanly i feel bad for his freinds and family. i read the tributes on wishmasters site and wished i could have known him.