• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

couple Custom topwaters

since some of you maybe don't go up to the rod/lure building forum and i am sick as heck and can't fish mad i figure i'll put these here too, because they're for Muskie.. full descriptions are in the lure forum if your interested.

DSC00129.jpg

DSC00137.jpg

DSC00134.jpg

DSC00148.jpg

DSC00125.jpg

DSC00127.jpg

DSC00122.jpg

DSC00126.jpg

thanks cjac, ptkane (mortal combat?), and Reb>>>

cjac, i find myself fishing them alot more than purchased when i'm fishing for muskie/pike. but since i really don't like making small lures, just too tedious and the cost aint much different, i fish purchased for walleye, bass almost exclusively. the exception is jigs and a few topwaters and spinners. i probly disected and destroyed more muskie lures sick than most people own figureing out how they do what they do. then i make them, and modify some to do other things i.e suspend, sink, float, vibrate more, etc. put it this way. after years of trial and error, hundreds of hours upon hours of research, thousands and thousands of greenbacks wasted on different products to find ''the ones'' (lure builders sure are a secretive bunch, or liars ), umpteen bookoo bucks on lures only to destroy them, thousands on power/hand tools and even more thousands for components, i make sure i fish those darn things alot!!! like the topwaters above... figure you want ten colors at 25 bucks a pop for magnums, with tax your getting close to 300 dollars. not to mention time to get them, gas nowadays, and they need to be kept away from your valuable plastics with the lacquer coat. i pay a fraction of that, i don't count labor on my personal lures because it's really fun, and can put them in a plastic bag with all my squirrley tails. plus they don't get beat up as fast. grin sometimes i use a sprayable epoxy that looks nice, is worm proof, and keeps the sound of the wood at a different pitch. but the 2 part epoxy just looks so darn nice i use it more. anyway thanks again.

Rebel... do i have pink??? i'm a custom lure builder fer pete's sake of course i got... well not made up blush ... pink!!! i left you a message in the rod/lure building forum. tell me what ya think??

( frown what's with the rod ''building''... lure ''making'' thing anyway. i prefer ''lure building'' wink )

Quote:
How often do you find yourself using your own lures vs. purchased?

here's one i've used alot. made it a few years ago for spring early summer. my niece named the pttern ''little ducky''. it's caught several fish, muskies, northerns and even a few hungry bass. i still have it somewhere but i looked for it and can't find it. i know i got it somewhere. wanted to show the teeth marks. more pics and stuff of it in the lure building rod making forum. no paint used. all epoxy.

DSC00176.jpg

DSC00179.jpg

DSC00181.jpg

double orange twisty tails added to simulate little feet and she was ready to fish.

Quote:
Definitely sweet... cant wait to get mine!!!

found your fushia finally, almost there now. epoxy's on and cureing. but in the mean time...

heres a few more to look at for everybody. more pics in the rod making lure building forum, if you want more info on them.

an old bobbie globe of mine i just repaired...

DSC00311.jpg

DSC00312.jpg

and one i made for me to have a fatter tail section than my bobbie..

DSC00305.jpg

DSC00303.jpg

DSC00302.jpg

both together

DSC00313.jpg

and an ''Orca'' pattern

DSC00314.jpg

DSC00316.jpg

DSC00318.jpg

made fore fish catching contrast and also to look nice to us humans smile

thanks for looking

bought a couple of blades for 5 bucks a pop i thought everyone might like. the black blade on the left is a size thirteen(supermodel), the copper blade on the right is a size ten(cowgirl). the middle one is the size i just picked up. size 19 or 20, not sure just said size 3.5. they are stainless steel and about .028 or so thick. was told they are sharp on edges and to be carefull, lol. might cut my head off. so i gotta modify and paint them and i'll put the resulting ''trolling'' grin lure up. be at least a few days.

DSC00325.jpg

Quote:
I see you're "working" on things.... I like it a lot! I'll be in touch...

if your talking about what i think your talking about... yep i'm ''working'' on things, lol. i was trying to keep that a secret for now untill it's up and running. building it myself so it's taking time. if it's not what i think then what you mean? lol. keep in touch. My user name at msn .com

Still waiting on my topwater lures... dont tell me you fell in love with all of them and decided to keep them for yourself LOL grin Cant wait to see what your demented brain told your hands to make... gotta be very exciting since you're very MUM about it LOL

Just got the pics of my three topwaters that B1gf1sh made for me... oh man... Im basically BLOWN away... they all are wayyyyyyy better than what I had imagined... Cant wait to really go fishing with them... and yepper... they're PINK!!! beautiful PINK!!!

Cant wait til you're done with whatever you're "working" on... and see whats it all really about... Just hoping that you'll have that "Rebel Special" as a regular...

Very nice paint jobs on all of them. I have one very similar to the Orca as far as colors and type of bait (not nearly as cool of paint job though)

I'm quite the newbie in the Musky fishing arena and have never caught a fish with it, but I've always thought it would be fun to catch one with it. Its good to hear there is a bit of sucess coming with this bait, I'll have to start chucking it a bit.

thanks reb. blush

griggs. what lake, what lure? mabe we can help with that there bait and where to use it. orange black is a very nice contrast for a bait. one of the better ones, imho.

I mostly fish Tonka. Do you bring it in straight or pop it once and a while. I like the idea of being able to troll it over weeds that are almost at the surface. I want to try casting it for night fishing as well.

I personally shy away from going topwater at night, they miss enough in broad daylight and many feel (myself included) it's just too low of a hook-up % proposition to really work topside at night.

ohhh, contrair mon'frare(sp) miseer(sp) cjac. grin IMHO

if you would do me the honor of trying this a few times you may change your mind. stop a-lot. twitch. 2 maybe 3 cranks at a time. wait a full ten seconds between last movement and the next, a full 10 seconds. mix it up. this works great durring the day too. at least it does for me, and a few i know and did for some who are no longer with us. it's boring as heck and monotonous, this is fact. sometimes all you hear is a simple ''slurp'' sound when they grab it, other times the basic normal stuff. of course i don't just go out there a do this anywhere. usually when it's dark in an area i fished earlier or another time out and had a sighting and tried everything else. i understand confidence is key and the first fish this way kept me doing it again and again, and it's gotten many more. smile

Mon Frere,

I'll be the first to agree with you and in the same breath admit I do not have the patience to take that mythodical of an approach. Yes, it'll work, but I quite honestly lack that level of patience. Case in point, I quickly bore doing the Lindy Rig deal for walleyes. Even bass fishing with topwater frogs, I struggle to let it sit long enough. I really should though, as I'm thinking of areas this could work well......

You make a good point of not just doing this anywhere, rather on spots that likely have fish in the area, based on prior visits to a spot.

In reality, your occupation, not to sound all Freudian and psycho-analytical, helps breed that mythodical & patterned & habitual approach really if you think about it. No short-cuts in what you do, both in preparation and results. I'd say we should trade places for a day but I'd never leave my truck.......

You hit the nail on the head.....confidence is key.

I don't remember where I read it, but I was told the thumping of this type of topwater for night fishing would help the fish locate it. Although I don't have any experience of this since I haven't caught a fish with it...

Quote:
I'd say we should trade places for a day but I'd never leave my truck.......

it's not that scary... really. grin

griggs. at the risk of getting into another sound debate, lol, that's almost true. the low frequency plop of this style prop will instantly alert a fish it's there. but it will also hinder it's ability to locate because it will feel like it's coming from everywhere with it's lateral line because low frequecy sound goes in every direction equally and bounces and goes through object easily... among other things. without being able to see it, it needs time to locate it. hence the pause. a higher frequency is naturally created by the hooks and other hardware on that bait with a twitch. a high frequency sound is directional from point to point and easier to locate. theres a post where it's detailed better, even includes freakin' whales shocked , but this is pretty much the jist.