• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Humminbird 797 SI c2

trollingguy

Question

I need help with a electronics or electirical problem. My Humminbird 797 locator is acting up. It will power up and work just fine while traveling at slow speed, however, when i increase speed it will shut down. I have a 125 hp Mercury 2 + 2 outboard motor and it seems that when the other 2 cylinders kick in then the Humminbird unit will power off. My question is, does that motor have a voltage regulator in it? And is the Humminbird unit powering off with the increase in volrage at a higher speed.

Am going out to brunch with the family, will check back in a few hours.

Any solution will be appreicated.

4 answers to this question

If the voltage is ok it could be a power connector issue.I had a similar problem when I got mine. It could be from a certain level of vibration. Mine when I would spin the mount or click it up and down the viration from the click would make it shut off. I found that it was the power connector that is assembled in the base mount. One of the ones that connects to the unit when you pop it onto the base. Anyway I bent a fish hook straight and used the point of it to bend the connector tabs inside the connector in toward the middle so it would make better connection and I have not had a problem since. This was on the female side of the connector, the side on the 797 unit. There is a round barrel like connector that is supposed to apply inward pressure to make connection with the pin. Since it was looosing contact just bending it inward made it make good contact. If this is what is happening, trying this is a lot easier than waiting 1 week to get it back.

Other than that I really like my 797c2si so far. The side imaging is great.