• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Replacing bunk carpet

Wish-I-Were-Fishn

Question

Just noticed the end of one of my bunks is showing wood. I didn't look at it real close because I was in a rush. My wife thought it is just pulled loose from the rear area and I could just refasten it somehow.

Not sure how to replace the carpet. Is it glued on? Seems like a hassle because I would have to float the boat somewhere and then do the repair, but the bunks will be wet.

8 answers to this question

Wishin, Mine is also starting to fall off and I was thinking of either letting a buddy use the boat for the day while I repaired the bunks or jack the boat up and support it safely with jackstands with a piece of wood on the top to prevent any damage to boat or put a strap around the boat and buy or borrow a chain hoist from someone and then take the bunk off, but I would suggest marking a couple spots before loosening the bolts or maybe you will be able to see the old bolt/washer marks for alignment later.

Hope this helps and good luck

I took my boat to the lake, launched it, beached it and replaced the carpet in the parking lot. I left the brackets on the bottom of the bunk boards, pulled the old carpet off to use for a template and then stapled the new carpet onn the bunk boards. When I was done I went fishing for the rest of the day. When the carpet needed to be replaced on the trailer for my 14' boat, I replaced the bunks with Ultimate Bunk Boards and they worked out great. My 14 footer is much easier to load and unload now.

Yeah I know, but I'm sort of torn between the carpeted bunks, or something slicker. I've heard a lot of stories about the boat slipping off and hitting the ramp because somebody didn't engage the winch ratchet correctly. It only takes once.

I'd like something with a little grip, but not so hard to push the boat off.