• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Thermostat

My 96 Force Outboard 75 hp has a thermostat on the line before the water pumping through it reaches the pee hole. Today I was on the lake just cruising at idle speed and I overheated.

I know it is pumping water because if i take out the thermostat it pumps like crazy. I know the thermostat works because i put it in boiling water.

So my question is this... What would be the problem with taking out the thermostat all together to keep my engine cool?

please help

Your motor is designed to run at 130 degrees or whatever that tstat is set for. If it does not reach that temp the motor will run rich . When you launch your boat you tend to let it warm up before you take off. Without the thermostat it will never warm up. Chances are the motor will run rich and you will eventually have other problems hence using a lot more fuel, recirculation system plugging up and spark plugs fouling. Get the impeller changed and buy a new thermostat. The water you see coming out may be from the bypass.

I know the thermostat works because i put it in boiling water.

Did you pay attention to what temp the thermostat opened at though? If it didn't open until it was 350 you have a problem.

You already put a water pump in, right?

marine_man

Yeah, I replaced the water pump impeller.

I redropped the lower unit and reconnected it. Not sure what I fixed but everything works great now. Took out the thermostat again and flushed the whole system.

I dont really think i did anything different, but it works so who knows. Thanks for everyones help.