Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
JohnK

How big is a small lake?

Just wondering what everyone considers a small lake, or how big your 'small' lakes are? Out here they call any puddle that has water year round a lake, there's one in town "Lake Rasmussen" that is maybe 5 acres at best. There are a very few 30-40 acre lakes within an hours drive, all are electric only, sadly the so-called boat launch at the closest one is too shallow for my 17' Crestliner.

So, just curious but how big is your average small lake? And (maybe this should be another thread) how many lakes are there within 30 min from home you can put your boat in?

I would agree that 100 or less is small. I have a lot of lakes around me I can put in. I'm in St. Paul so I can go up to the Forest Lake/Chisago area and hit all kinds of lakes. Don't even have to drive that far to put in. I'm four blocks from phalen if I really wanna stay close.

I would say if bullhead are the only fish that survive winter than it is not a lake; more of a pond or marsh. However we have Devil's Lake (WI not ND) and that is electric motor only and it is 40-50 feet deep so I think it is too much lake to consider small.

0-10 is a pond

10-25 is a tiny lake/big pond

25-100 is a small lake

100-500 is a medium lake

500-5000 is a large lake

5000-20000 is a huge lake

20000+ is it's own entity.

I would say if bullhead are the only fish that survive winter than it is not a lake; more of a pond or marsh. However we have Devil's Lake (WI not ND) and that is electric motor only and it is 40-50 feet deep so I think it is too much lake to consider small.

That's an interesting take on it, considering depth on whether it's a lake or a pond. Out here with all the mountains and foothills even small lakes can be very deep, one about 30 min from home is only 35 acres, but is over 100 feet deep.