• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Evinrude ETec Feedback

stick

I searched before posting, but didn't find anything on this subject, so here it goes...

I have an Evinrude Ficht, and I had THE ISSUES with it and was very pleased with the way it was handled and love it now. I also really like what I hear about the ETec-s. I have also read some things on this site about people liking them. I just got back from a major outdoors store in the western metro with a buddy looking for a boat, and the floor salesman said that the ETec-s are having a ton of problems, too. I have not heard this anywhere. He said he wouldn't even sell one to anyone looking for them even though he can sell them. He said they keep hatching the power-heads.

Can anyone corroborate or dispute this? I would like to get a pontoon boat at some time, and I always pictured getting an Etec.

What's the real story???

I have a couple buddy's with them and as of so far they haven't had any problems. They are still pretty much brand new though, but I haven't really heard of any problems. I think if one properly cares for any of the new motors out there they probably wont have any problems.

Well last summer I saw a large pontoon with twin etecs getting towed by a dude in a lund. Not sure what the story was, but heard that they didn't run out of gas.

There are some excellent boating sites that might have more info. The real stats are pretty hard to get if not impossible. Look for some of the bass fishing boards that have boat sections.

I would look through the search returns when you search for "etec" in the drop down box above. I found several posts that might be of interest to you...

For what it's worth I've heard both sides of the coin, but more often than not in the end the positive reports have been better than the negative reports.

With respect to the salesman at the dealer - the next time I'd walk out to the service shop and ask one of those guys what they think about etecs. They're the guys who work on them or see them day in and day out.

marine_man

marine_man

the e-tec is a new motor for evinrude, but mercury and yamaha also make direct injection motors. I have heard no problems with either the merc or yami. I bought the yami 200 HPDI this year, and no problems so far, and I am like this motor. I think the e-tec is a little over priced.

If you watch the infomercials on the e-tec, they always run it against the others 4 stroke motors??????? why don't they run it against the same motor, direct injection 2 stroke!

my 2cents

With respect to the salesman at the dealer - the next time I'd walk out to the service shop and ask one of those guys what they think about etecs. They're the guys who work on them or see them day in and day out.

marine_man

marine_man

This is some of the best advice when it comes to purchasing anything. It's what I do anytime I'm looking at buying a piece of equipment that's either fairly new on the market, or I'm not completely familiar with.

Don't take this wrong, but alot of times the salesmen know what's taught to them by the company, or what they read out of a sales brochure.

The service guys are the ones that see what's going on with the product once it's left the sales floor.

I know of 2 guys that were running the 225 e-tech and both have blown several power heads. I know one guy who went through 4. I wouldnt touch one but others like them.

I dont know anyone running them in smaller HP.

98 and 99 FICHT motors really gave Evinrude a bad name. They invested $70 million dollars to make this motor work and the first few years for them was a disaster. Sounds like anything post 2001 are good motors. They compare to 4 stroke and in some cases including gas efficiency they beat 4 strokes.

I have a 60 hp E-tec on a Lund Alaskan (16' 10") I previously had a 75 hp Yamaha 4S on an Alumacraft Navigator (16' 5"). Both propped correctly, at max rpm at WOT, both with 15" stainless props. Here's my observations: The 60 hp e-tec pushes the Alaskan 30 mph with 3 people on board and gear, and 33 with just me. The 75 hp Yamaha 4S pushed the Navigator 29 mph with 3 people and gear and 30 with just me. Hole shot is far, far better with the E-tec. The E-tec vibrates a lot more at idle than the Yamaha, but that could be due to the fact that it is a 2 cyl vs. a 4 cyl for the Yamaha. At speed neither vibrates much at all. The Yamaha is quieter at idle, but not by much. They are about the same at speed. The Yamaha idles better (not as much shake and shudder). They use about the same amount of oil (I'm on pace to use about a gallon and a half of XD100 in the e-tec this season, and the Yamaha got 5 quarts of Mobil 1 each year). Gas mileage is about the same, both are great on gas. The e-tec is a heck of a lot smaller and is easier to fish and see around. The Yamaha doesn't stink at all during back trolling. The e-tec does a little bit, but not much. I had no maintenance issues in 5 seasons with the Yamaha, but maintenance costs are high - a couple hundred bucks a year for valve adjustments, inspections, etc. I have had 1 issue with the e-tec, a lower unit bearing locked up. The dealer fixed it immediately and I have had no problems since.

My opinion - if power is your goal, get the E-tec. If quietness is, go Yamaha. I loved both and would buy either again depending on the application.

I run a 06'60HP tiller e-tec.I posted back when to say that other than a chafed wire bundle under the hood and getting the correct prop things are fine now.A friend of mine had a power head problem on a e-tec 225 when they first came out.Since the repair he has had no more issues.Of the e-tec owners I know thats the only power head problem.No way are there tons of problems.