• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What size Bullheads work best???

Christopher Quast

I like the 6 8/3" ones. wink

I'd use 7" everytime if I could, something that moves more water when they struggle. Whether or not size matters, using bigger bait means you can use a biggger hook with a larger gap. I think that's more important.

Last year I started using circle hooks for flats because I've had such good success with channels on circles. I've had good luck with circle hooks on flats too, primarily using 8/0 Gamakatsu Octopus circle hooks. I've found that the smaller 5" to 6" bullheads work good on the circle hooks so I've downsized my bullheads to match the hook better. It seems to be working out OK. Those 5" to 6" bullies struggle as hard as the 7" ones.

I guess the bottom line is I wouldn't worry too much about the size of the bully. If theres a flat on the prowl, he's going to find it and I really don't think a 2" difference from 5-7 is going to matter. It's more important to match the hook size to your bullhead.

I like a nice healthy lively one 6" and up with a 10/0 gamakatsu in it.

Hey Ed, do you still have a healthy supply of them hooks? I would like to get some from you if possible!

Most bodies of water you can catch the little buggers. Put your offering close/on the bottom and it shouldnt be a problem. There are some bait stores that sell them as well. I think there are bait stores on these forums that sell them.

Use the MN DNR sites lake finder to access surveys of lakes to find a spot by you with a good population and hopefully bigger ones. Your best bet is smaller bodies of water with a creek coming in and/or going out. Fish in the mouth of the creek. Light tackle with a hook and split shot is all you need. I prefer nightcrawlers or angle worms