Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jhol

Alumacraft Owners?

6 posts in this topic

I know there is always talk of what type of boat is best I am just looking for anybody who owns or who has fished out of an alumacraft Trophy 185, my brother is thinking about buying a new one and needs some info, likes, dislikes, anything you care to share.

Thanks

I don't have the Trophy, but I do have the Tournament Sport 175 which is similar. It's a 2004 boat. I have only 1 real complaint about the boat I got. The windshield isn't high enough and I'm only 5'-9" and that's on a good day. laugh Maybe the windshield on the Trophy is a little taller, I don't know. But I'd suggest he sit in it and check it out. If staying dry from wave spray is a concern, then the height of the windshield should be a little concern as well. I wouldn't make it the breaking point in buying/not buying; I just wish mine was a bit taller.

Other than that 1 thing, the boat has been great.

My Old Man has had a trophy since 1996 with no problems with the boat except for a hose coming off of the speedometer a couple times. Great boat I am 6'3" and have never noticed the windshield being to low all though the design has changed quite a bit in the last 12 years.

I don't own a alumacraft boat, but before I retired I hauled many alumacraft boats from the factory. If I was to update my boat It would be the sport 175 or the trophy 185. From the many I hauled from the smallest to the biggest ones they make them two would be my choice. laugh

I own a 2006 trophy 180. Love it. Dry ride, very comfortable. Great for big water, good on smaller lakes...it floats in 1.5 feet of water. Easy on and off the trailer alone.

I would have gone with the Tournament, but with the 'family' the trophy was the better choice. Instead of a rod locker up the middle, there is a removable platform.

I put a 150 (2007 yami 4 stroke) on the back, it is rated to 175, I don't really think there would be that much of a difference. Just me and a 1/2 tank of gas and all my fishing gear, I get 51 mph GPS.

One thing I have learned, go BIG with the anchors if you want to hold it in place in wind, and also go Big with drift sock(s).

I really have no major complaints, I put on alot of hours in the 1.5 years I have had it. I will most likely get the 195 or 205 on my next upgrade in a few years.

Hope that helps you smirk

I have an '02 navigator 165. Not the same boat, but I'm happy with it as a company. Been a great boat, dry ride and a good setup for fishing.