• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Planting Tree in wet area

Genofish

all the trees mentioned here will do well. How tall do you want this thing getting? For a smaller tree/shrub, you could plant something like a Pagoda Dogwood, which will get 10-15 feet tall and have very attractive flowers

Ive been interested in the Tamerack. I see them in marshes on the way up to Leach lake. The are an evergreen that turns gold in the fall. I believe they loose there needles in the winter.

I dont think they would do to well in my yard being the soil is rather sandy and dry. But you have a wet area I think the Tamerack will do well.

Not sure on the tolerance to wet soils, but my parents have a river birch and that thing is huge after only 4 or 5 years.

Not sure if you have a residential setting or woodsy. For woodsy look into a couple of black spruce for winter color. Slow growing but they tolerate the wet soils well.

Don't the river birch have some sort of worm or something. Seems like I've seen a lot of them in yards that die after about 10-15 years, just when they seem to be getting nice.

Go to a reputable nursery in your area and ask them, and then make sure they give you a one year warranty on the tree. Then plant it correctly following the directions of said nursery to a T. Sometimes there's a problem with trees that come from sources that are more than 50-100 miles from where you are so be sure to buy something that was grown locally at a nursery near your house.

The silver maples do very well in wet areas and grow extremely fast. The problem with willows and silver maples is that they are very prone to storm damage from having such soft wood. Trees with harder wood will be a bit more slow growing. If you want a tree for this area that will hold up in a bad storm go with the Swamp White Oak. Only in the worst storms do Oaks suffer damage.