• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

cool spring = good walleye spawn?

The last few years have had warmer than average springs where the water temps warmed up sooner than usual. I read where this is good for perch spawns, but I never heard anything about how it relates to a walleye spawn. My initial thought would be that the range of water temps where walleyes' spawn would have a very narrow time span, thus reducing the success of the walleye spawn.

Would this cooler than average spring have a reverse correlation to a more successful walleye spawn? I'm thinking yes, but don't know if there's any data out there to support it. Anyone know this type of information?

Late springs (i.e. cooler water temperatures for a longer period of time) typically mean that more females will be forced to absorb their eggs, thus resulting in a less successful spawn.