• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bass fishing the crosby area lakes

Michelle

We're coming in from Michigan a week from now. We'll be staying for a week fishing the crow wing county area. Anyone care to share how the lakes have been so far this season? Which are the hot spots for smallies and crappie?

Michelle,

I've fished the lakes in that area quite a bit over the years, but can't tell you exactly how the bass bite has been this year. Two lakes I really like up there, Serpent and Mission. Serpent has both smallmouth and largemouth in good supply, largemouth are the predominant of the two. Mission is strictly largemouth, but has some darn nice fish. Furthermore, there are a ton of small lakes that have some exceptional quality and quantity with regards to largemouth. I won't mention any names, but throw a dart at an area map, and you can end up on real good body of water.

Like Ray said, most all of the lakes up in that area hold some good fish, and good populations of fish. Any of the deeper clear lakes up there should hold smallies for sure. My buddy was up chasin smallies for bass opener, and I was up chasing panfish the week before. I got a couple small male smallies over some shallow rocks adjacent to a weedy bay. Last weekend was pretty rough for my buddy, he only got about 25% of his normal thumb rash. That being said, the lakes in the areas are a little behind the normal schedule this year. By next weekend, you will probably see the big female largemouth start to move into the shallows to spawn. The smallies are probably getting close right now too.

I saw in the other thread that you are having some issues getting fish to go on plastic worms. This trip is going to be a very good one to use some worms on. Do yourself a favor, and pick up some Senkos/YUM Dingers/Mister Twister Comidas before you head up. Rig them wacky style, weughtless, and toss them in the shallows, you will have fun. Productive colors tend to be blacks, greys, greens, browns, and my personal fav, red shad. Another very good bait will be Flukes in many of the same colors.

Up 6 from Crosby is Clinker,Rabbit,both good lakes. Like others have said Serpent is a great lake. And if you feel like driving just a little further,the Whitefish chain is not that far-alot of traffic but great fishing and scenery-not talking about the trees and loons if ya know what i mean. Our cabin is near the Chain-dont forget blue-my fav color.