• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Remodeling: Looking for ideas

Reynolds

I have a 10x24 ice house that I am going to start remodeling beginning this weekend. Since seeing the interior photos of the house that Appledoorn's Resort built, I have decided that I wanted to go with T&G interior. I would also like to build a booth/bed in place of the current bottom bunk. Lights above each of the holes may be in order too.

Anyone out there have any ideas on what they would like to see in a house, or something they have and particularly like?

I will try and keep up with photos throughout the process and post them.

I built my drop down house 15 yrs ago and put carpeting on the floor. I've never had any problems with it or ice build up freezing to it. I always drill my holes before setting the house down on the ice. I still get some snow and ice on the carpet, not much though, but it always dries out with in a couple of hours easy. Personally I would never have a drop down ice house with out carpeting

I built my drop down house 15 yrs ago and put carpeting on the floor. I've never had any problems with it or ice build up freezing to it. I always drill my holes before setting the house down on the ice. I still get some snow and ice on the carpet, not much though, but it always dries out with in a couple of hours easy. Personally I would never have a drop down ice house with out carpeting

Do you always take your house off the lake when you are done for the day? Do you use a slush bucket to catch the shavings?

We had carpet in our last house, and the carpet stayed wet/frozen for a couple of days.. Wasn't the end of the world though.

I put rubber roofing material on my floor.works great and just squeegee it out to dry it since it is seamless. One other thing that worked out great is I took 6" pvc pvc pipe and ran it from the furnace (which is under the bunk) along the floor on both sides of the shack.Drill 2-2" holes in the pipe above the fishing holes so the warm air keeps the holes from freezing up,also drill some 1" holes along the top of the pipe for heating the shack.It keeps the heat very even in the house.just make sure to cap the ends.

Carpet is a must if you're going to spend comfortable nights in the house. If you circulate the air and have an insulated floor the ice melts and the carpet dries out fast. If you're getting a new heat source I would go with some sort of a furnace that circulates the air as it heats.

Do you always take your house off the lake when you are done for the day? Do you use a slush bucket to catch the shavings?

After getting a house last year, i can now understand the benefits of a slush inhaler. this will be one of my first purchases this fall. 2 holes with a protable is one thing, but trying to dig out 6 or 8 holes 8-10" above the ice. Btw, i remove mine each time, dont like the idea of someone breaking in.

Also, drilling before you lower the shack is the only way to go, keeps the shavings on the ice, not in your house.

I would not go without carpet in a fish house myself. I guess I have not had too much of an issue with wet carpet. I used a slush inhaler this past year and now I wonder why I didn't by one sooner. If you use a slush inhaler in conjunction with catch cover slush bucket, you do not have to worry about wet carpet.