• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pot ash

Diago

I have an area on my lawn that I cannot get any grass to grow, it is under a couple of oak trees. I have tried fertilizers and have re-seeded without much luck. I asked a feed store representative what to do and he said put pot ash down. Has anyone had any luck with it? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Jim

Try Oak Sedge also known as Pennsylvania Sedge. This is the natural groundcover under many Oak stands. Can be mowed if you like or just let it grow, gets about 6" and then starts to lay over with total leaf length approaching 10-12". It looks like light green lawn grass. Hard to start from seed but spreads okay once established. The hardest part....stop maintaining for a lawn don't water, fertilize, mow so often, etc. or you will be favoring the lawn grasses and not the sedges. It would make the sedges unhappy and the grass still won't grow. Check MN Native Plant Nurseries for photos and costs.

How high up are the tree branches? If the branches are low, then bringing the canopy higher off the ground may help by alowing more sun and wind to the area. (Do not trim your oak tree right now though if needed).

Did you happen to have the feed store do a soil test from a sample of the soil around the tree? It could be that you need to nuetralize the soil ph in that area with lime.

Maybe try creeping red fescue. I have used that in pretty shady areas with success.

Good luck.