• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

best knot for fluorocarbon?

poncho

I'm trying Fluorocarbon for the first time this year. For years I've used the Palomar knot, but I've read that it isn't the greatest knot in the world for fluoro. If there is anyone out there that has been using fluoro, what is the best knot you have found. Thanks!

Hiya -

I've been tying the San Diego Jam the last couple years. Easy to tie, and seems to work as well as anything. Palomar can be fine, but you have to keep the line from crossing over itself as it goes through the eye, which isn't easy with light fluoro...

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

Been tying the palomar knot for about 3-4 years now with fluoro. I've only had it fail once and I think I didn't get the loop cinched tight that time. Be sure to wet the line before cinching tight. I tie everything with the palomar knot. I really like it.

Cool, thanks for the replies fellas, Palomar knot it is then, that makes me happy, it's never failed me, I'll just have to make sure I keep the line slobbered up when I'm cinching up and make sure it's a clean knot as well.

Lots of guys seem to like the polimar. I used it a lot my self, but when I switched to floro I noticed that there was a noticible difference in that the knots weakened faster; had to re-tie more often. I went back to the old improved clinch and haven't had a problem since. I suspect it has a lot to do with which brand of line you use. I'm sure they're all made a little differently. I will use the uni-knot to join floro to fireline. The uni has done well for me for that application.

I too use the Polomer knot for everything. I will say though, especially for flouro, you MUST wet the line when cinching up. I usually just dip it in the water and hold for a couple seconds and slip it up tight. I have noticed flouro seems to need retying more often though.

Well, I have some learning to do, last night I went out with Fluoro for the first time, my biggest two worries was knot strength and line twist. I was using my spinning reel, so I was expecting some issues with twist ( but you have to start somewhere), I bought some KVD line conditioner and let me tell ya, if you haven't tried that stuff yet, do so, I never had any problems with line memory whatsoever, that spray is the real deal.

I was using a drop shot senko presentation, 2nd cast I had a 13 inch bass on, moved around the pond and caught 2 more, then I started probing the outer edges of some willows and I had something take my bait and run, I didn't have to set the hook, it did it on it's own, anyways, I fought it for about 5 seconds and SNAP, fish gone. I'm almost positive I broke off at the knot, from now on I'm gonna have to focus myself on re-tying every 3rd or 4th fish, I've been using braids for so long you could strip off 8 feet of line at the start of the day and that would be good enough. I have a whole summer to train myself on keeping an eye on my line, what a terrible problem to have. I did like the qualities of the Triple Fish Fluoro, seems to be a pretty good overall line.