• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Catfish Safari Rods

hanson

For those who don't know me, I have an absolute obsession with Catfish rods. grin

The rod is such an integral part of catfishing that it deserves to be obsessed about in my opinion.

For a long while now, all the "great" cat rods that have ever been produced are no longer available- St Croix Classic Cat, Berkley E Cat, Berkley Reflex, Jim Moyer Boss #3, etc.

I absolutely LOVE my $25 Berkley Reflex 8' MH Casting rods. Love them!! Just sucks that I can't get them anymore.

I happened to be in Moore's Bait & Tackle the other day and saw a new line of rods, Catfish Safari, for the first time. I have heard about these rods for awhile, but this was the first time I got to handle one. Holy smokes, was I pleasantly surprised about the quality and action of these rods.

There are 4 different models and the one that caught my eye was the "Lake Rod", it has a yellow blank with the blue wraps. Just giving it a feel in the store, the action is nearly identical to my beloved Berkley Reflex rods. The "River Rod" is a bet heavier, it has a yellow blank with red wraps on it, but its a very nice stick as well.

I was initially turned off to the yellow blanks but they are starting to grow on me now. Shoot... I've got rods with white blanks, orange blanks, green blanks, black blanks, blue blanks... why not yellow?

I know a few guys who post here have these rods, I think I might be a new owner as well pretty soon.

If you're in the market for a new rod, I think you gotta stop down at Moore's Bait and Tackle and talk to Bob about these Catfish Safari rods.

fishing_products_282__500_x_375_.jpg

Looks like the eyelets have no plastic on them! That will be a must on my next rod!

I see green wrap? Is it just me? Looks like a Green Bay Packer rod grin

First off, thanks Hanson for the thread.

I feel compelled to tell others about my experience @ Moores Tackle this past weekend:

Been working nightshift alot of late and thought I "deserved" a little present to myself...so called Mr. Moore 610 am told him I was coming up.

Showed up and bent/twisted alot of sticks all-the-while shooting the breeze w/ Bob. The zero-pressure appoach and honesty were refreshing. This is the 2nd time( 1st was late last season when I was looking for leader-line material, and he was the only shop from Mankato to Minneapolis that had the # I was looking for.) and both times nothing but good vibes from shopping there. I picked up the Safari Lake Rod model and also the Spin Model(Me the fishing partner have ran big spinning combos on/off this last year for the goofball factor of it....fun stuff smile . You can tell they are put together to last awhile. Anyways...thanks Bob Moore.

Sidenote: I use St Croix Classic Cat rods 7'6" MH and have run them into the ground over the years. The Lake Rod model for Safari has the the same characteristics; the midsection of the rods are close, the Lake Model having alittle more stiffness on the tip section.