• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pup has the runs

irishjigs

I have a yellow lab a little over 5 months old. Yesterday morning his #2 was solid. However, I get home in the afternoon and there is the runny stuff all over his kennel. Mind you he has only had one accident in the kennel before this. Since yesterday afternoon, he is needing to go out about every hour to squat. Is there something I can do to help him out with this?

Can dogs get sick from humans? The reason I am asking is I had the same condition over the weekend (it's going around the family).

How long should I let this go until I take him to a vet? He probably just ate something he shouldn't have...but that is still a mystery to me as to what it could have been.

Thanks for the help!

jigs

I've had this problem with my pups. I don't know that they can get sick from us, but I can see it happening. Anyway, we buy the pepto bismal tablets. If it's a younger dog or smaller cut it in half. Put the tablet in peanut butter and they'll munch it down. Works like a charm. Got this from my vet so it is safe for dogs.

My pup had this and my vet said to boil some lean hamburger and rice, separately, and then mix them after they cool. The blandness of them is supposed to calm down their digestive system is what I was told.

When my dog has the same we give him white minute rice for a day or two to get his system back in check.

He may have gotten into something that sent the system out of wack. Happens. My kids once gave the dog half a hot dog and that sent his rear end into hyper drive. White rice for a couple days brings it back to normal.

It took a while but the family now knows the dogs eats DOG FOOD and that is it. No matter how he begs. It is for his own good.

I have also noticed that if I take him to the doggie cutter he gets nervous and this can trigger an "event". If I have something like that planned for him I give him white rice the day before.

You just never know.....it is a big drag.

My pup had this and my vet said to boil some lean hamburger and rice, separately, and then mix them after they cool. The blandness of them is supposed to calm down their digestive system is what I was told.

I forgot about that. That works too. I pepto and do the hamburger and rice. Clears them up in a couple of days.

Posted this simple remedy before but bears repeating as the runs are more common in warm weather. No food for day one, half ration on day two and then resume normal feeding. Works like a charm, doesn't cost anything, and no special preparation of food.

If the rice and hamburger don't work after a few days he could have giardia caused by protozoans. My pup had it twice in 2 months last summer. It can come from waterfowl droppings and some rabbit [PoorWordUsage]. My Vet had to use a strong antibiotic(Flagyl) to clear it up. Next day he was much better. Disreguard if the diet helps your pup. DrJ.

I would get your dogs feces tested at the vet. It is only $15 at my vet and you will know if you need to let it run its course or need to get him on medication. My dog had giardia twice and with in 24 hours he was feeling better with medicine