• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Motor Manufacture Date vs Alleged Model Year

MuleShack

I bought a Yamy 150 with a T8 kicker last year with my 2007 year Alumacraft TS 185 boat. All were sold as a brand new 2007 package...and believe me, i paid 2007 prices. Now i see a plate on both of the motors that say manufactured date 11/05.

This would lead me to believe that these should have been sold as 2006 models.

Is this correct that they could legitimately sell these as 07 models? or was I taken for a small ride?

That looks a little shady. I would show it to the dealer and question them. Last 2 digits of boat HIN (Hull Id Number) will show the year of manufacturing (eg LUN55GG11106 means 2006 model).

I've seen some dealers sell them as 07 claiming it was made at end of 06 but it is actually a 2006 model.

Motors are not same, but looking at the date on yours it definitely does not make it a 2007.

You probably won't get much out of dealer, since it's a past deal, but you can try to get persistent and get some "perks" like free tune up etc.

I bought a truck that was a 2001 model. Sticker on door was built 5/00, title said 2001, and VIN said 2001 model too, go figure.

Vehicles are actually worse than boats.

That looks a little shady. I would show it to the dealer and question them. Last 2 digits of boat HIN (Hull Id Number) will show the year of manufacturing (eg LUN55GG11106 means 2006 model).

The boat was fine, because they came out with the new design for 07 with the deeper sides. The hull ID has 07 right at the end. I was just disappointed in the motors. I mean they were both brand new, but if some one looks closely, it could hurt resale value. I might just call yamaha direct and see what they have to say about this?

I thought I'd heard that some (if not all) outboard manufacturers over produced in 2005 and held some back to get around the new emissions rules. My memory as I get older, not very accurate but it sure is short.

I was told by a dealer that Yamaha and Honda will no longer be going by production date on the titles. They will be titled by the in service date. That is when the warrenty starts anyways. I do agree that the dealer payed less for it in 05 than he would have in 08 so the savings should have been passed on to you, and if not, why by from him?

I do agree that the dealer payed less for it in 05 than he would have in 08 so the savings should have been passed on to you, and if not, why by from him?

If he bought it in '05 and held it until '08 I'm guessing his interest costs and insurance on his inventory ate up any "savings" he had to pass on.

That could make things a bit tricky when you go to buy parts if anything changes year to year. First, you have to keep track of a date in sevice so you know whether or not you still have warranty, and then a date of manufacture in case you have to order parts.

Yamaha and Mercury have gone away from "model years". They no longer refer to a motor by model year, just by serial number. Though they probably disagree, my guess is they did this to prevent having excess inventory that has to be "dumped" at closeout prices at the end of the year.

Yea,

I was reading that on the Yamaha web site. I got to hand it to them for the Ingenuity to avoid having the retailers taking the hit on the "old" inventory.

I guess being it is consistent, then there shouldn't be an issue with resale value either. Maybe they should take the MFG tag off the motor then?