Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tybo

Gun Dog Trainer

21 posts in this topic

I am looking at a trainer to work with my 20 month old English Setter pup. He needs to be force fetch trained. I've tried on my own but this is my first pup and I'm just not getting anything to work. I'm looking at a trainer named Larry Laqua from Legend Gun Dogs. Anyone familiar with him?

I know nothing about Legend gun dogs or Larry, but if you are located near Dassell I would at least talk to Mike Schulenberg from Wings and Whistles in Watertown and see what you think. Great guy, soft approach. I have personally seen 4-5 setters that Mike has trained and they all turned out really well. Good luck which ever direction you choose.

I would also recommend Brian Roushar of West Country Kennels.

Two others that I personally know and respect...again depending where you are located are:

Ed Erickson at Autum Breeze Kennel in Isle MN

Morgan Haglin at Pine Shadows in Brainerd MN

Both are full time trainers of gun dogs.

I will put in a second vote for Brian Rousher with West Country. I did the training of my pointer and then brought him into Brian for some brush up help and he did more in a week than i expected. I have also heard very good things about Chad Hines in Little Falls, and i am thinking seriously about getting a shorhair from him. Adam

Chad Hines - Willow Creek Kennels - Little Falls

By far the best trainer I have used... He is a great trainer.

Nice to hear more good things about Willow Creek and Chad Hines. My dog is headed there later this summer. I am hoping that the Willow Creek staff can bring out some more of his potential.

Jimmy, what is your dog's name? I help Morgan out 4 or 5 days a week with quartering dogs, gunning, etc...

Her name is Jasmine. She is a ten month old puppy. From the Merlin/Bree-ze litter. Shes been up there for three weeks now. I think she will be up there another month. I just talked to Morgan today about her. I guess she doesn't want to retrieve the birds back. So they are going to start using the e-collar on her next week. So have you met my dog?

I do know your dog.... She is going to be just fine... She is just being a puppy at this point in time. The e-collar will w/o question help a great deal.

I will be with Morgan in the morning... I try to help out 3 - 5 days a week... It lets me run my dog on live birds plus I just enjoy working with all of the different animals.

If you are going to be up to see your dog in training please let me know when you will be there.

Pine Shadows really is a first class operation.

Yeah I will definetly be stopping up to visit her probably in like two weeks. I was going to talk to Morgan about it. I wasn't sure if that would mess her up at all if I came up. Well I am glad you think she will be allright. I was kind of worried about her, she seems to like to do things her way. Or no way. Thats why I sent her up there. I know Morgan will get her under control. I am sure I have probably seen you up there before. I have been up there quiet a few times. Well keep me posted on how my monster is doing Joel!! Yeah I find it hard to believe that there is another place like pine shadows around. I am 26 so this is my first springer. We had a pine shadows springer while growing up as a kid. So I knew when, it was time to get my own. There was no other place to go. Plus this one is related to the one I had when I was younger. So that is kind of cool too.

Jimmy, your girl had a good morning training session.. Her quartering was very good and she brought the first two birds directly back to Morgan. On the third bird she started playing her keep away game again.. Morgan did a quick correction and had her do several retrieves back to hand before we ended up. She is making progress!

Like most dogs it takes lots of repetition to drive home who is in charge.

Hey thanks for the update. I really appreciate it. I guess thats good to here that she is making some progress. Thanks for keeping me up to date. I like to hear how she is doing. Let me know how she does next time you see her. Thanks Jimmy

Thanks to those who actually responded to my question. I'm glad the rest of you had a nice series of communication on Jasmine.

Thread did get a little hijacked....lets try to keep it on topic.

It's no problem. Jasmine's a nice looking pup, good luck with her. I am taking my pup to Ed Erickson tomorrow. I have worked a little with Ed in the past but didn't think he'd have a space available since he's usually booked this time of year. I called him around the time I submitted this post and he said he'd open a spot for my pup. Thanks again everyone.