• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

LOTW Opener

Quote:
Im just going to stick with my statement that it is not illegal to use a super spook for northern pike.

I dont want to steal the thread anymore so good luck on your trip to LOTW I hope you have a good trip. It is really a judgment call on your part as to what lures you will or will not use.

Dude, it was the way you said it that led everyone to believe that you were telling him to go and fish for Muskies and tell people that he is fishing for Northerns, or at least that is the way that I took it.

I have heard of lots of people using top water to catch Pike but Like they said, it is not a big percentage lure. The DNR can hand a citation for just about anything that they want to. You would have to take them to court and you would spend more time and money than it's worth and you would lose. Not something that that I would want to mess with when I am in another country.

Kind of like an Iweageon throwing a #5 Shad Rap in June here in Minnesota. smirklaughwink ooh thats bad

Quote:
Im just going to stick with my statement that it is not illegal to use a super spook for northern pike.

I dont want to steal the thread anymore so good luck on your trip to LOTW I hope you have a good trip. It is really a judgment call on your part as to what lures you will or will not use.

Dude, it was the way you said it that led everyone to believe that you were telling him to go and fish for Muskies and tell people that he is fishing for Northerns, or at least that is the way that I took it.

I have heard of lots of people using top water to catch Pike but Like they said, it is not a big percentage lure. The DNR can hand a citation for just about anything that they want to. You would have to take them to court and you would spend more time and money than it's worth and you would lose. Not something that that I would want to mess with when I am in another country.

Kind of like an Iweageon throwing a #5 Shad Rap in June here in Minnesota. smirklaughwink ooh thats bad

I must not have made my point clear enough. What I was trying to get at is you can throw a lot of lures that could possibly catch a musky as long as you dont have the intention of catching a musky or that is not your target species with that lure. I just used the super spook as an example in this instance. Also you said you would have to take them to court and you would lose. I beg to differ. I think you would have a pretty solid case if you were using a super spook and there is nothing to prove you are targeting muskies. Thats like saying the warden can write you a ticket for using 1/32 ounce jigs with a minnow before the season opens. Many people catch muskies in the spring while crappie fishing so is that illegal? and if its not why would throwing a bass lure while that species is in season be illegal?

Ryan

Ryan,

It's understood that many pike presentations may result in a muskie being caught. However, the way it was initially said was what came across the wrong way.

"When throwing these smaller lures there is nothing wrong with saying your targeting pike and if you get into a musky just make sure to release it quickly."

Simply put and being totally honest, you are asking for trouble on LOTW pre-muskie season tossing a 5 inch Super Spook. Furthermore, you are putting yourself in a position with a liklihood of catching a muskie, which a CO could interpret as intent.

While your own intentions may be good, there are too many that seek to push the envelope on this by finding "backdoor ways" to go after muskies that you're entering a gray zone.

Here's an example: Put on a long trench coat, ski mask, and walk into a gas station. Totally legal, right? However, there are "red flags" of intent and you'll likely find yourself in handcuffs. A little exaggerated, but do you see the intent vs. legal balance?

Anyhow, back to LOTW opener tactics and good luck to all who are heading up.

Chris

Great time to fishing LOTW although with the late spring it might be somewhat tougher. I will be up there at Red Wing Lodge the week after opener and my expectation is that the fish will be very weed related. The lures of choice for me are a Grinder Spinner Bait (white), Top Raider and Jackpot,Mepps Musky Marabou and Manta.

Staying on the water for those feeding windows (can be hard to predict and hard to do) is important. An example of it, last year my son and I went out and fished all day and didn't see a fish. My brother and his friend went out with an excellent guide and they didn't see a fish. Well at about 9PM (my brother and friend were back at the cabin) my son and I kept fishing, I had a high 40 super hot follow which never hit (operator error), next spot I catch a 46", next spot my son got a 45" and I lost another in the last spot.