• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

LOTW Opener

Hello everyone, hope everyone had a great winter! I am going up to Morson June 16th for a family trip but would like to throw a little for some skies while I am up there. I have never been up there this early and never fished for musky during the spring and was looking for some advice. Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks

I will be up near Sioux Narrows for the 4th time on opener, which is the 21st this year. Last year we did well on walk the dog style top waters like the Poe's Giant Jackpot and the super spooks even though it is a bass lure. You could also throw some buck tails although they aren't the best lure in the springtime in my opinion. I would suggest bright lures colors for all these lures since LOTW does have a stained color.

When throwing these smaller lures there is nothing wrong with saying your targeting pike and if you get into a musky just make sure to release it quickly.

Good Luck,

Ryan

When throwing these smaller lures there is nothing wrong with saying your targeting pike and if you get into a musky just make sure to release it quickly.

Not cool at all.

Muskies in MN and Canada get hammered before the season by guys doing just that.

Small spinners and minnow baits are one thing, but walk the dog topwaters are totally different. You arent targeting pike with those.

Just leave 'em alone for awhile

Originally Posted By: cRaPpiEMaN8265

Not cool at all.

Muskies in MN and Canada get hammered before the season by guys doing just that.

Small spinners and minnow baits are one thing, but walk the dog topwaters are totally different. You arent targeting pike with those.

There is nothing in the regs that says what you can or cant target with what lure. I can use whatever I want for those northerns and if a musky decides to bite then big deal.

Ryan

Uh oh. I agree with Luke on this one. If you are using walk the dog topwaters, you are not fishing for pike. Wait till opener to target muskies, it is the right thing to do.

Originally Posted By: MuskieMojoTackle
Originally Posted By: cRaPpiEMaN8265

Not cool at all.

There is nothing in the regs that says what you can or cant target with what lure. I can use whatever I want for those northerns and if a musky decides to bite then big deal.

Ryan

It's called ethics.

WTD topwater is a low percentage pike presentation. That said, it is pretty obvious what you are targeting with that lure.

Targeting muskie under the guise of pike fishing is a sign of a very poor sportsman in my opinion. It is also, in fact, illegal.

Targeting muskie under the guise of pike fishing is a sign of a very poor sportsman in my opinion. It is also, in fact, illegal.

If you use a WTD lure to "target pike", while fishing muskie waters, the CO will write you a ticket. It's his call and it's a pretty easy one- like Luke said, a definite sign of poor sportsmanship and a lack of ethics.

I wonder if the DNR would be okay with me fishing for perch with a jumbo leach a week before walleye opener. I have caught perch doing this before and MAY catch a walleye.... But officer I am fishing perch and when I happen to catch a walleye I release it quickly after a few photos. I hate poachers.

I used to fish for musky in Whitefish bay quite a bit when I was younger. I like the clearer water up there. One time I caught a nice largemouth on 10 inch Suick. Seen quite a few big musky up there. I still have all the tackle and rods for musky fishing but I might get out for them once a year if I am lucky. Would love to get out and troll up there for them in the fall but when hunting season rolls around its hard for me to pick up a fishing pole.

Actually I caught more pike than musky on my topwater super-spook last year. I always fish legally but there is nothing wrong with using a super spook for northerns on LOTW unless I am missing something. If you do get a musky you just have to release it as quickly as possible. You guys tell me where it says that using a topwater walk the dog lure is illegal...

Ryan

Crappie... everybody was just trying to tell you that the DNR pretty much has their own opinions... whether you can convince them or not... Nobody is accusing you of intentionally fishing for muskies... but they're just trying to help you from getting into troubles with COs/Game Wardens...

Lets just put yourself into a CO's shoes... the CO deals with people who lies... they also deal with truthful people... and those COs do learn whole lot while they're out there... Suppose you came upon someone throwing a Jackpot in a muskie lake while the season is closed... do you think the CO will fall for that "Im fishing for pikes" line??? Nobody here thinks a CO will fall... and they're advising you on that... and what more... NONE of the true Muskie Hunters will ever use that line regardless... if they're intentionally fishing for Pike, they'll use Pike lures... or most of them will be like me... not fishing for Pike in a Muskie lake at all til the season opens... Its all about respect and the ethics...

Luke (MuskieMojo) has whole lot experience going after Muskies... and, believe me, his advices are very reputable... I have to agree with him that topwaters arent exactly a good pike tactic... and I dont know anybody who uses topwaters for Pike either...

Hope this helps clear up the air somehow...

I never said I was using a jackpot I said a super spook in the 6" version which would be a totally legit pike lure since I was just using it for them 2 weekends ago in Wisconsin. I just don't see where they could connect that lure to musky fishing especially when it is really a big bass lure.

Ryan

The original poster's question was specifically asking info. on muskies on LOTW. Not info. on lures that you could say you were targeting pike with and could potentially catch a muskie on. You have a previous post that states that there is nothing wrong with saying you are targeting pike etc. etc. The problem with that is that he was only asking questions in regard to muskie fishing. I don't know why pike are even being discussed since his question was in regard to muskie fishing only. There is nothing wrong with using a super spook for northern if that is your absolute target. But, to use a super spook with the intention of really wanting to catch a muskie before season is wrong.

But the CO cant prove that you had that intention. So I'm not saying it is the right or ethical thing to do but it would be legal...Ryan

You seem to think the CO has to "prove" you are trying to catch a muskie. He/She doesn't have to "prove" anything- if he/she thinks you are trying to catch a muskie (makes no difference whether you are or aren't), you will get ticketed. The CO will apply common sense and make a judgement call. Seems to me, you should do the same and not use a lure that might get you in trouble with a CO.

Common sense might also lead one to quit bickering on a public forum about what's legal/ethical and what one can get away with without a getting ticket.

But the CO cant prove that you had that intention. So I'm not saying it is the right or ethical thing to do but it would be legal...

Ryan

Crappie - Whether or not it is legal is secondary. Obviously following the law is a basic principle and we are all required to do so. That said, we also have a responsibility to do the right thing every time all the time. Based on your original post it appears that you know its questionable otherwise you wouldn't feel the need to justify how you are fishing to the CO. I won't speak for anyone else, but that's a slippery slope I'm not willing to go down.

-erik

Ethics and moral are good principals in life for sure. I would like to tell that to the dude or gal that stole my cooler, life jacket, and battery from my boat today at the minnetonka launch while i was walkin for my vehical. ( at least they left the really good stuff) But I do have to say that walk the dog style topwaters are my go to bait for pike on certain lakes. Today on tonka I caught 3 nice pike on my Zara Spook. I fish these around big island and other undisclosed locations on tonka and hammer nice pike. To day I caught a 4.12 oz, 7.9 oz, and 16.9 oz norts. No muskies though. Just one small 30 or so that fell off while realin in from my trolling run. I had a good hook set but they sometimes seem to shake it when they jump after a trolled lure. The big pike was fun though.

Im just going to stick with my statement that it is not illegal to use a super spook for northern pike.

I dont want to steal the thread anymore so good luck on your trip to LOTW I hope you have a good trip. It is really a judgment call on your part as to what lures you will or will not use.

Sabaskong is a very big area. When I went up there for opener 2 years ago, I was very overwhelmed and I wasn't ready for the vast nature of the 100's of islands and the 1000's of miles of shoreline. I would say hit Muskie alley which is kind of in the middle of Sab. Then maybe try up into Burrow Bay, Unbelievable beautiful place. And then if you have to, head to the north east corner of Sab and look for weeds and warmer water. The Bay where Red Wing Lodge shouldn't be over looked either. Also, the advice I got on here 2 years ago holds very true, and grass that is being hit by wind can be good.

As for Lures, I throw every Bucktail I had in my box. Topwaters durring morning and evening. Didn't seem worth trolling at the time.

I traveled all over and fished the bay pretty hard and didn't catch one, and while we were there, they caught 3 off the dock blush

SO STEP 1 is throw a couple casts from the dock before you head out and after you get back to where you're staying.

It's a cool place for sure.

Good Luck to anyone that is heading up for opener!