• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Favorite Campground?

Kylersk

We just got a travel trailer and are looking for ideas.

Let's hear your favorite place to Camp in Minnesota. I'd prefer places that have the ability to pull up with a travel trailer.

So far, we spent last weekend at Lake Auborn Campgrounds, near Victoria. Didnt want to go to far on our first trip. We've tented there before and always enjoyed our selves. Now with a camper, it was no different, just a little more comfortable. wink

This weekend we are going to Baker Park Campground in Maple Plain. A while back we had tented there and had a good time. Big Campground, but the beach and play area was a little too far away.

Next weekend heading to Bluff Valley Campgrounds near Zumbro Falls. A Co-Worker of my wifes recommended it.

Pokegama Lake campground is nice, good place with kids(grand), and the lake is close. We stay there when we are in MN. Don't care for St.Pk's to much money for what you get.

we love baker park also, we will be there in about 3 weeks!!! As far as family stuff, our family loves Kamp Dels in waterville!! not traditional back to nature camping, but lots and lots and lots of stuff for the kids to do!!! we spend 2 weeks there every summer for vacation!!

We used to go to Kathio a lot when I was growing up, but it's been 20 years since I've been there. I was surprised to see only one person mention it in the thread IFallsRon linked to, has Kathio really gone down hill?

I don't think that Kathio has gone down hill at all. The road from the office to the campgrounds is blacktopped, there's a new shower/bath building and interpretive center. There's a playground and swimming area at the end of the road and you can fish at the dam. Plus it's not Fr. Hennepin where you have too many people in too small a space.

The roughing-it campground is pretty new. The old area was in an area considered to be part of the old Native grounds. You can still hike down the road to that area.

One of the negatives is that there's not a dump station for RV campers.

Plus it's one of the few areas locally that has horse trails and camping space for the horse people and their rides.

All that and still only a bike ride to Mille Lacs. We often camp, bring the bikes and roll to the area south of Eddy's across from the C-store and do some shore fishing and rock collecting.

Fall Lake Campground just outside of Ely is by far my favorite campground. I grew up taking family camping trips there. You can paddle into the BW, you can catch huge pumpkinseeds right off the shore from the campground, you can go for a drive up the Echo trail looking for moose and bear, you can head into Ely for some tourism, you can spend an afternoon at the beach.

And it is beautiful with space and trees between the sites.

I would agree with Eyes on the prize Fall lake is by far the best campsite out there...I have camped everywhere from florida to northern minnesota and would choose Ely's fall lake before any other...

Hint site 29

right across from the bathrooms and shower house and has an awesome trail down to the lake and easy to get your boat in and out.

XLR8

I would vote for Kathio myself. I really like the seclusion.

Hearing the buzz of the bazillion mosquitos in the woods was kind of eery...but cool. Very nice campground.

We've had them on shore before, and seen others the same. It kind of depends on the shore at the campsite, some are more flat with sand, others with bigger boulders so the boat might get dinged a bit. Nice campground.

Scenic State Park north of Grand Rapids is a very nice campground, and the staff there are always very helpful. Fishing is usually good, and there are miles of hiking trails, and lots to see and do around that area as well.

Figure I'd add a Bluff Valley review..

Nice campground. Liked the River side campsites with running water and electric. Kids loved the daily craft activities and the nightly karaoke. The pool was small, but I don't think the kids cared at all. The staff was young, but were very friendly. My wife and I joked that it was run by 'the children of the corn' Since I think the oldest was in his early 20's (which was the owners son).

I felt it was priced a little high, but when I add in all the 'free' things, maybe it was ok. Free chili dogs on Saturday, Free kids crafts each day, Free Karaoke each night with live bands on busier Saturday nights.

I did take my oldest 2 (9 & 6) down the river for their first tubing trip. I think this trip lasted maybe 45 minutes. The river was cold and really high which of course meant, when we were supposed to get off, we were on the wrong side of the river. So I had to hop off, hang on to the tubes (that were tied together) and make my way across the river. The current was a pain to fight and pulled me probably 4 to 5 sites past the exit point.

Overall, I think our kids really loved this campground. I really would like to try it on a busier weekend when it's closer to full. When we went, I bet it was only 30% full because of all the grad parties, cold river and such.

We have a brand new campground nestled in the Chippewa National Forest!! We offer a family friendly environment with GREAT fishing!! Please feel free to check out our HSOforum at www.highbanks.com for more details and pictures. You can reach us at 800-365-2560 - we would love to host your next camping adventure!!