• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Question for everyone

muskiechaser

Looking for an opinion or two here. My boat submerged and the insurance company totaled it. I have two options, new equivalent boat (not sure how long that takes) or buy it back and take $4725 cash. Everything worked after we got it upright except for the radio, and the boat has got some pretty good scratches on it too. The motor ran once I got the water out of it. It's an '06 Crestliner 1600 Angler and 75 Merc 4 stroke if that makes any difference. The price to buy it back was $8775. What does everyone think? Am I crazy to be considering buying it back?

My opinion only......Take the ins money and buy a different boat. Having become a submarine, damage has happened that you don't yet know about. Do you want the little things nickel and dime hassle?

It's just me, but I'd get another boat and kiss this one goodbye.

My look at it would be you could buy it back at $8775 and get $4725 cash. Which with that cash you may have to use to fix your boat. Or you can take the insurance money and buy a new boat. Its just the matter of fact of how much money you get back. You could always get something better or buy the same boat.

thats the way i would look at it

My opinion would be ,,get a new boat if you use it often ,,,reliability would be an issue for me ,,,my son had a car that was submerged for a few hours ran fine after getting the water out of the motor ,,,,but then it was the radio,,,then the lights,,,then the power windows,,,then the gauges,,, door locks etc ,,if its gonna act up it will be some place far away form a mechanic or in inclement weather

Just my 2 cents

Randy

Your premium is going up either way. IMO, new boat, new ins., new everything.....

Your ins. will only total your rig once. If yoiu wreck it or someone wrecks you, its on you if you take that check.

New boat for sure. Anything that gets wet like that will surely rust over time. All of your electronics under the dash (if yours has a console) and elsewhere will slowly corrode. Trying to trouble shoot an electrical problem where the corrosion could be anywhere in the wiring system is my idea of a nightmare. I wouldn't even think about buying the old one back.

Your premium is going up either way. IMO, new boat, new ins., new everything.....

Your ins. will only total your rig once. If yoiu wreck it or someone wrecks you, its on you if you take that check.

I agree, maybe look at new agent if your premium goes up. I would go new for all the reasons said here. I had a boat totaled and just took the cash and got a nicer boat. Make sure if you go that route that you take everything you can off the boat. I took all electronics, trolling motor, anchors. Pretty much anything that isn't part of the main structure is fair game. No sense having to replace all that stuff if you don't need to.

That's a good question. Didn't your boat have appropriate floatation? Technically, it shouldn't be possible to totally submerge it unless you had an oversized motor or something else that exceeded the load carrying capacity.

Bob

Quote:

Thats the biggest reason I'd oppt for the new rig.

The biggest problem with the boat was that it was upside down in the water. It was tied to the dock at the time, it was left alone for a few hours, when I looked again it was upside down. I'm still not sure how it flipped over. I wish I would have been there to see it (I think). I did make the mistake of parking it with the bow towards shore, giving waves easy access to the back of the boat.

Was the motor hot when it went down? The reason I ask is because I drove my truck through deep enough water to suck some into the air intake. Dried it out and it ran fine but 6 months later I blew a head casket. Turns out it warped the heads. You might not discover all the damage right away, maybe 6 months down the road, when it's too late, something else might surface.