Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
Alan

Snells?

Can someone please explain these to me? I see them on the racks, but not really sure what the purpose of them is? A hook with a 8" leader with a loop on the end...

Someone?...what's special about these? What are they used for?

I use them for riggin' lindy's but usually make my one. For walleyes I will use anwhere from a 3' to 8' snell depending on where I'm fishing. You can put the loop through a swivel hook on your line. You put your weight on before the swivel. If you loose one it will usually break the snell. Still have weight and swivel. When you drop it down you will be fishing off the bottom the length of your snell with a crawler, worm or leech. I drop them right over the side of the boat just so I can feel bottom. Then slowly move it up and down as you troll. Awesome rig for eyes. I don't think I've ever fished with an 8" snell before. 18" is probably the least I would go.

Shallow water if you want your bait on the bottom and not floating thats when I use the short short ones I almost use it like a jig cast it out and drag or hop it back!

I once found some sort of statistics on the net that said snells catch at a higher rate and/or it was lower rate of 'lost' fish.. I forget which... (as compared to what, I'm not sure) and I'm feeling lazy on trying to find it... maybe someone else has seen it though.

Snell = My (and about 99% of the other people's) go to on Mille Lacs!

I have my doubts that you're using the short 8 inch pre-packaged snells that he's asking about.

I use the 8" when fishing off the dock up at the cabin. I attach a sinker above it and bait it with a shiner. The shiner ends up just off the bottom struggling against the sinker. It works great every spring for opener.

A Snell works well to secure a spawn bag or yarn when river fishing for salmon or steelhead. If the Snell is tied properly there is a loop at the eye for the bag or yarn. A Snell also points the hooks in the right direction when tying multi-hook crawler harnesses.

The guy that taught me to tie a snell always said you are not a real fisherman until you can tie a multi-hook Snell with all hooks spaced exactly the same.

snell = pre-tied hook

usually have loop on end of line but not always

And what's the loop on the end for? I never thought it was strong enough to simply clip a snap swivel on. Or is it?

A buddy and I tied on 9 to 10 ft snells while Lindy riggin Mille Lacs this weekend. We were one of VERY few boats catching fish (that we could see). I usually increase the snell length the tougher the bite is. And, slow the boat down in the same scenario...

Good luck...