• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Real state Question

MIKE IN lINO III

Question

Maybe for the sales professionals out there.

I have lake property in MN that we put a mobile home on, it does not have a septic system, yet. I realy don't plan on putting on in. I might be selling it in the near future so is lake property like homes where the septic has to be up to code?????

Now, I plan on buying a cabin in WI. Because of the size of the lot and it's proximity to the water it has a holding tank. Again, does this need to be updated prior to the sale of the property???

Does anyone have experience in dealing with these issues???

Thanks,

Mike

5 answers to this question

I can't say that I have specific experience with it, but I would assume if the home is permanent then you need some sort of system...even if it's an approved outhouse. If it's truly a mobile home that can be removed easily then I doubt you need a septic.

Some lake associations and townships might have specific rules that you may need to look into as well.

When I listed our lake place with a year around home on it the septic system has to be checked if it doesn't pass it has to be brought up to code. Not sure on the lot with a trailer. I would say check with a real estate agent, they should know that stuff in your area.

In Beltrami county(bemidji area), as of yet, there is no "county" code that states your septic must be up to code. They tried hard a few years back to get everyone up to code, but it fell thru. Up here, if your system isn't up to "code", the realtor will list it "as is", which is perfectly fine/legal. It may effect who can purchase your place because many banks won't loan on a house with out of date septic. If listed "as is", it usually becomes a bargaining issue between buyer/seller, especially if the new buyer wants an "coded" septic. IMO, many of these so called up to date septic systems are a big joke. Mound systems are the worst things ever developed to supposedly have a septic up to code. Ground evaporation septics have been used for thousands of years, but since you din't "pay" a fee to the county agent, it won't be up to code. Taz

If it is not a "cabin" then it will be listed as a "lot" or land. You do NOT need a septic for that. But be aware, that getting loans for "lots" are tougher than cabins, as there is a higher rate of foreclosure (gulp...) on them.

In your case, you would probably sell the lot and the trailer seperately, even if to the same person, or maybe sell trailer for like $1 or something. Real Estate guys could tell you that.

But if it is a structure that anybody would sleep in, then you will need an up to date septic, I believe. My bro-in-law had to put in a new septic system in order to sell his place on Rush Lake near Rush City MN, but his was a true cabin.

When we bought our lot, it had only a big shed and an outhouse on it, and we had to buy it as a "lot" that was not a 30 year mortgage, but a "land loan". Easy for us to get at the time, but higher interest rate and it had to be renewed every three years. We are now building a full blown cabin so new septic going in.

Good luck with the sale and new purchase!

edit: Taz is right. For my bro-in-law, it wasn't that the county made him put in septic, it was that nobody would lend to buyer unless the septic was up to date and up to code. So if somebody comes in with ca$h that would not be an issue. That's right, now that I remember.

The lot your buying with holding tank is fine to go.The lot your selling if there's a well and a cabin,moblehome, Minium of holding tank or septic.I believe within 1000 ft of shoreline mound system or holding required.

The state Health Dept.Controls these sewer systems,the counties only inspect,require for compliance.

Contact The State Health Dept for a true and correct answer to your question.

I reread SORRY I dont know about Wisc.