• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Camping along lake superior

Thats a really general question. What arrangements have you made for resupply?--especially on the northeast side--long way between towns.

Rossport is a must see--old old comercial fishing village--you'll also want to be sure and stop among the Slate islands--good fishing and its neat to watch the caribou. Check out the meteor strike there too. Heron Bay is nice at the mouth of the pic. From Heron Bay south to Agawa it can get pretty desolate but it is beautiful. Good fishing the whole way.

I know a guy who once spent a month in Nipigon Bay in a kayak--he got sick and tired of eating fish all the time and he told me he saw a good bit of the bay--but not all of it.

Make sure you take a handheld VHF radio with you too.

I don't have any recommendations for you, but you could contact the Ski Hut in Duluth, MN as they sell the type of equipment that one would use in this type of endeavor. They might be able to steer you to someone or a group who has completed this trip. 60 days doesn't seem like long enough to complete a trip on a lake with a surface area of 31,000 sq miles and 2700 miles of shoreline.

Thanks for the info, all good things to think about. I would love to check out the slates and caribou fascinate me. I have had others suggest Rossport, I can't wait!

To ease the minds of folks I would like to say that I have been a sea kayak guide on Lake superior for 6 years and been planning for this particular trip for over a year. I have been looking into the camping scene for at least six months but came across this site recently and thought that I would ask the people who have been camping in the area.

I will be resupplying through the postal service for the most part in addition to a couple of friends and paddle shops.

Please don't be discouraged. 60 days is actually a very resonable amount of time for this type of endeavor. Granted the shoreline of the big mama is 2,700 miles but I will only be paddling 1,300-1,350 miles of it. I don't believe I will have it in me to tuck into evey nook & cranny!

I've been trying to tuck into every little nook and cranny on the North Shore for the past 40 years. I doubt I've seen 10% of it and discover something new every time out. I'm glad you have the experience for such an endeavor. I hear there are caribou on Michipocten Island too. You won't lack for campsites--the Couris du Bois have been running the North Shore for more than 400 years. Keep an eye on the weather and you will be fine. You'll meet some fine folks along the way. Rossport I know has a big Kayaking fraternity.