• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Weather question

What's the general rule on fishing walleye's shallow or deep with weather like today? It's overcast, rainy, windy, and the air temp is cooler than the water temp. I've heard when it's windy and the air temp is cooler than the water temp that you should look deeper. If the air is warmer than the water temp, then shallow. Is that correct? Or this time of year does it matter that much?

Thanks ~piker

I have found the weed walleyes may be more active on days like this. I've had some success pulling shallow running cranks slowly over weed tops.

I've also been told to pay attention to the minnows at the baitshop. If they are balled up in a corner, fish breaks. If they are scattered evenly throughout the tank, fish flats. It does make sense that a minnow will act like a fish in a lake.

To me personally.. There is always usually walleyes using different available structure everyday. Weed fish, rock fish, point fish, flats fish, etc etc..

For me, shallower eyes are more catchable when I have wind pounding into that water and the conditions are more overcast. Be it shallow flats, rocks, or weeds.

Deep weed edges, deep breaks, etc. I believe it doesnt matter the conditions, you can always get some of these fish to go. Might be slower then some days, but they are more apt to bite for me in deeper water.

But, all of this is relative too. Some lakes being stained or very clear can throw this all off too. A lot of times I make my pick in lakes due to the conditions. High skies, no wind.. Stained water would be my choice. Overcast and good wind I may opt for the clear water system. And oh, you can never go wrong with a river, those fish seem to not be as much affected by weather sources then their lake cousins.