• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Three Blade Prop worth it on a 20hp?

Newcastle

I have a 20 year old, 20hp tiller merc on my little 16' Crestliner boat. It does the job alright, but the boat is pretty heavy with the full floor, livewell, gear, seats etc. The motor currently has a two blade prop-always has.

I noticed last week that pretty much every small tiller/kicker motor I'm seeing on the road or at the lake has a three blade prop. Do you think its worth changing over? Pick up that much power? Also-what would a smaller prop like this run-ballpark?

More blade surface means more thrust. you will gain some potential handling too since the motor will have more blade in contact with the water, so turning will be enhanced. I would suspect you may have to drop the pitch on a 3 blade a touch to maintain higher RPM's.

I would think you can find a good prop (michigan) for under $100 or so. I'd also look into checking out HSOList too..lots of possibilities there and you may find a nice bargain too.

Steve

I have a 19 year old Johnson 20hp. It has a 3 blade prop and came with a 3 blade spare. Seems to run alright but with a floor, etc is heavy. Never had a 2 blade but the 3 blade does ok with 2 guys both in holeshot and top end.

Cabelas has some props for around $65 that seem ok.