• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

'Toon River Anchors?

Greetings from the Big Sky State.

I'm flying high as I just bought a Fishcat Cougar pontoon and I was wondering if someone might have any cost effective anchoring ideas. I usually fish the Missouri in the Mtns and I've lost or cut away several larger river anchors on my scanoe. The best driftboat and 'toon anchors seem to be the lead(bad) pyramid types but they start around 40 bucks. I have never used the folding Kayak grappling types but I don't know if they would hold my craft, especially in a 4 mph or faster current.

Anybody have any ideas? Any homespun fabricators out there with a DIY solution to my expensive problem? Concrete and rebar?

Might sound funny, but when we do camping trips in the wilderness we use basketball nets, zip ties, and rocks. That way we can adjust the size of our "anchor" to the conditions we're faced with. It sounds like you want a more permanent solution though.

Thanks for the reply, SWM.

I've used the rock bag method in my float tube in still current with success. Then in a small two person raft, in current the mesh bag didn't last long. I just bought a 3lb folding grappler for the pontoon but haven't given it a try yet as my river is still swollen from runoff. I know the riverstyle anchors will stick but they are 10 lb and 20 bucks, couple years ago I spent 60 bucks on lost anchors. Lots of sharp rocks in the Rockies. I've heard tales of old timers pouring concrete into milkjugs with rebar structure but weight is definitely a factor for my inflatable.