• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

mounting smallmouth

troutmaster

Odanata,

Welcome to F.M.!!! A legit 23 is a REAL Nice fish! No pics though... too bad. Seriously I'd concider a replica if I were you if it's possible without the measurments I don't know. I've spent some time a few years back in the carlton area. I know some Soukkala's from that area. Beautiful country.

Fever

I think it depends on where you fish. In Minnesota, I'd say any bass over 6 LBS. is a trophy; large or smallmouth. If your on the great lakes, maybe that number is more like 8 LBS. Some guys have caught many, some none at all. The best thing about replicas is that the trophy is still swimmin'. If you catch a bigger one later and want that one instead. Put the glass you have on hsolist and use it towards your new one. Put your photo up next to the replica and you got the best of both worlds. Me personnaly? I'm waiting for the 7 pounder, no matter how long she is.

I have fished long enough to know folks are skeptical when claims of large fish are made. Pictures or not, it was an amazing fish. The largest small I have ever seen, let alone caught.

I know the Soukkala's. There are a few of them around.

Theres a big difference between lake smallies and river smallies, I don't dispute any claims form lakes, river fish are different though, there constantly battling current and wrotten conditions, there growing season is super short and they just don't get HUGE like lake smallies do!

I would disagree with you river rat, in some cases. Not that I have caught an abundance of smallmouth, but we did have a great day on a river which you can see in another post on this page.

Anyways, while river smallies may fight more current they can get out of it easy in eddies and behind rocks etc. and that current may make feeding easier so they don't have to chase stuff as much. In general rivers often have much more food and cover available. Also oxygen is probably better year round because the water is circulated and oxygenated from current and rapids so they don't get as stressed potentially as a lake fish under extreme heat conditions in midsummer. Just my opinion though and it all depends on each individual water.

Lake Smallies are bigger, river Smallies fight better. This has been told to me by too many serious Smallie guys to not believe it, I haven't fished lake Smallies. River Smallies do not get as big, fat as bragging material lake fish, no question RR's right.

Lake Smallies are bigger, river Smallies fight better. This has been told to me by too many serious Smallie guys to not believe it, I haven't fished lake Smallies. River Smallies do not get as big, fat as bragging material lake fish, no question RR's right.

Just CPR'd a 21" yesterday - would never mount a smallie but may do another LM someday - mounted the first one I caught over 5 lbs many years ago - but it would have to be a 10 lb beast and even then I might go the replica route. Smallie would definately be a replica and it would have to go at least 22 if not 23.

Great fish but still no board....I'm with BLB on this one. Can't tell you how many times I have guessed at the size of a fish and been proven wrong by a measurement or scale.

Here's one on a board from yesterday as mentioned above.....great board too! (nudge nudge wink wink)

20080601_0089-2.jpg

DazeOff21inch-web.jpg

Nice smallie. Now that's the correct way to measure fish, mouth closed, tail pinched with the rule under it. Too many peeps measure with mouth open and rule over and around the top curve of the fish. Again nice fish. I've never caught a smallie bigger than 19", then again I rarely fish waters with samllies.

Superb Smallie DazeOff. That is MSRD board #1, been a lot of nice fish on it the past couple years but that's the biggest.

Correction, that's the largest Smallmouth that been on there. laugh

That's a dandy ! Yer guide must have some secret spots. grin Everybody get an MRSD board, and a cheep camera. Then when you get mrs piggy you will have a great pic for yer braggin board. cool

P.S. I tried to type your handle but it keeps posting lake off. what the heck?? lake Off hmmmmmmmm, twilight zone?????

Originally Posted By: MSRiverdog
Superb Smallie DazeOff. That is MSRD board #1, been a lot of nice fish on it the past couple years but that's the biggest.

Correction, that's the largest Smallmouth that been on there. laugh

greenies don't count laugh

That's a dandy ! Yer guide must have some secret spots. grin Everybody get an MRSD board, and a cheep camera. Then when you get mrs piggy you will have a great pic for yer braggin board. cool

P.S. I tried to type your handle but it keeps posting lake off. what the heck?? lake Off hmmmmmmmm, twilight zone?????

I have no clue - I need to send a message to the powers-that-be and see what's up on the moniker thing....

Biggest smallie I ever caught out of Tonka.... whistle