• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

generator- coleman

deadminnowcatcher

Question

15 answers to this question

I have a coleman powermate 5000, it is loud. I use it for stuff at the cabin, but as for ice fishing I think I would find something a little less noisey! Then again the 1850 maybe alot quieter!

Yes, it's quite loud. These only run at high RPMs....as loud as a typical lawnmower. A friend owns this generator and I've used it several times to power my pick-up camper in remote areas. It runs excellent and I've found it very reliable. They do go through a fair amount of fuel too.

If you are fishing, the Honda by far the quietest, lightest and superior for much more enjoyable fishing.

I have heard the Yamaha generators are quieter then the Hondas, and have a good reputation, something to look into!

I was just researching the yamahas last night. the 1000 and 2000 are comparable to the honda, but the yamaha has a bigger motor but same run time with the same noise rating.

If you get into the Yamaha 3000 (or 2800)the Noise rating is 51-58 which is lower.

I am leaning toward the Yamaha myself after doing the reading last night.

Yes, it's quite loud. These only run at high RPMs....as loud as a typical lawnmower. A friend owns this generator and I've used it several times to power my pick-up camper in remote areas. It runs excellent and I've found it very reliable. They do go through a fair amount of fuel too.

If you are fishing, the Honda by far the quietest, lightest and superior for much more enjoyable fishing.

Loud as a lawnmower??? I had one it had a govener and ran full throdle bout 1/2 as loud as a mower at less than full throdle not too bad

I dont own one, nor do I know anyone personally that does, but I have read alot about them when I bought mine.I was going to get a Yamaha, but then I cheaped out and bought the coleman, I figured they cant be that much louder, I was wrong!

Ok, it's as loud as a lawnmower without the mower blades turning. grin With a 3.5hp Briggs and Stratton motor, it's very similar to the B&S motor on my small push mower.. wink

Please, generator guys, be courteous to your fellow fisherman. Buy a quiet one....

I have a question, for those of us that have waisted our money on the loud generators, is there a muffler that we can buy to quiet them down some?

I think there are mufflers you can buy. I've also seen guys use old fridges with holes in them for ventilation. they put the fridge on it's back, put the generator in fire it up and close the lid. works well, a guy by my house on mille lacs did that and it worked well. I even have a friend with an old fridge for free if you want it!!

Originally Posted By: Whoaru99
Please, generator guys, be courteous to your fellow fisherman. Buy a quiet one....

I have a question, for those of us that have waisted our money on the loud generators, is there a muffler that we can buy to quiet them down some?

I dunno. One would think something could be rigged up.