• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What line to use?

I know there have been a few posts about lines and what ones to use and when. I just bought a new Limit Creek "Smoothie" and am going to put a Pflueger President on it. What is the best line to put on this setup? Thanks in advance for any advice.

It really depends on how you plan to fish with it. There's also a lot of personal preference involved.

For me, if it was jigging or rigging in shallow water, including throwing plastics, or slip bobbering, I would go with mono or gamma copoly. Probably 8 lb test, maybe 6 lb.

If it was throwing cranks, trolling cranks, deeper water rigging and deep water jigging I would go with something like power pro or stren super braid. Probably something like 20 lb test 6 lb diameter, or maybe a little smaller.

For that set-up and techniques, I would go with mono, 6 or 8lb it is personal preference, I would use 8lb, I don't think it really inhibits any bites, but it does help when fishing in cover or when fighting larger fish.

6 lb Fireline works for me! If I am in snaggy areas I will go to 10 pound Fireline.

I usually only prefer mono for slipbobbers. I have been told that PowerPro works well for slip bobbering. I have never had good luck with fireline when slip bobbering.

mw

I'm not familiar with the rod but if it has a soft tip you may be able to get away with fireline but I'd go with mono for the applications you've described. Mono stretches which is good when finesse fishing becasue it keeps the fish from feeling you and it is also very limp which I like. Another option would be a copolymer like Gamma. These lines have more stretch than fireline but less that mono and they're really strong. I use fireline for jigging and trolling but stick with mono for everything else. It is all personan preference though, but I'd suggest 6 lb Berkley Sensation or Gamma.

Joe

I started with mono, to fireline, to powerpro, now I am using a co-polymer, gamma. I personally love gamma. Little strech, but still has the stealth of mono, if not better. I continue to use fireline for fishing current and powerpro for bass and pike.