• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Changing propane grill to natural gas

Stratosman

Question

Hey I have a question..

Anyone here ever convert a conventional propane grill to natural gas? We just bought a different home and re-built the deck and the previous owner has a gas line running out to the deck with a shut off that I suppose was for a grill, anyway this seems like the clear ticket. The connection is like an air chuck type quick connect, question is, what do I need to do to allow this to work, there is a regulator on the main line from the meter inside the house, and the line for the deck is beyond that, which I beleive is what knocks down the pressure to like 2lbs or something?? Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Scott

5 answers to this question

You just need to get a different regulator, that's it. My father-in-law did just what you want to do. I'm not sure what kind to get, but a heating & A/C parts dealer, or even a place that specializes in grills could steer you in the right direction.

You will have to open up the jets and change the reg. on the burners, you should be able to turn the jets open with a wrench, just a little at a time, then lite and look at the flame, it should burn blue and sharp. It will probley take a few trys before it burns right. Also make sure there is a gas shutoff before the quick coupler, just added protection from a gas leak if the coupler dosen;t seat properly. If you are not comfortable doing this a get a service man to make the change over.