• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bamboo?

Anyone in here ever work with bamboo? I bought a "cheap" blank off the net last year and have not built the rod. Basically its borderline junk and I dont want to put the time in on the rod for it to maybe not be useable. I want to build a nice boo but dont want to spend 500-1000$ on a blank. Im not interested in building the blank from scratch yet either. I guess I should either play the lotto or start saveing pennies...

My only boo experience has been in trying to repair the tip section of an older factory boo rod I've been fishing with. What's your questions? You would use a static distribution test to set the guide spacing, wrapping would be the same (except for using silk), finish is a bit different, you can mount handles the same if you want or file out hex holes and then mount the blank on a lathe to turn. There are a few web sites that go over most of the processes and a couple of good books on the subject.

Well, the boo fly rods sure are fun to fish with. I like the slower action most of them have as it forces you into a rather comfortable casting stroke. Lamiglas, IIRC, has a series of honey colored fiberglass blanks that are suppose to invoke a certain sense of booness and have an interesting look. It would be interesting to build a few and compare an older boo rod with a rod built on the hsolist blanks, vs some slower action fiberglass, etc.

Hi DC

Yes I think it would be worth your time to build your bamboo rod.

Like you- about a year ago I built a bamboo rod using an "inexpensive blank" (6.5 foot, 5 Wt., 2 tips) purchased off the internet. I just wanted to see if my moderate rod building skills were up to the task of working with bamboo. Also I did not want to invest a lot of $$$ in an expensive blank and mess it up. I was extremely pleased (he said modestly) with the outcome. It is a pretty rod and it fishes really nicely.

You will learn a lot about working with bamboo, and have a quite nice rod. (A fellow can never have enough fishing rods). I am feeling brave enough now to attempt repairs on an antique rod I have saved for 30 years, and maybe build a good one someday.

Here is a HSOforum forum I found extremely helpful and informative:

[Note from admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

have fun-

Dan N