• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lake in Burrnett County

Hey Guys,

I'll be in Burrnett Co this coming weekend on Birch Island Lake at a buddy's cabin. We wont be fishing Birch Island, but I was hoping to get some good feed back on some of the really good small mouth lakes in the area. I've heard mixed reviews on Big McKenzie Lake, but it looks really good on paper. I'm from MN, so I'm up on Mille Lacs 24-7 at our cabin, but this weekend I'm in WI, so if you could give me a little help that would be great. I'm not looking for lures, or where to find them on the lakes, but just some really good lakes to try. Also, I'm willing to drive an hour or so away from the Webster area so if there is a lake on the out-skirts, please, let me know. Also, if you know of any Musky lakes, that would be great too. I fix Twenty Six and do well, but I'm not sure how the landing is doing, I haven't been there in 3 years.

Thanks

Scott

I have no clue on the smallies never really fish them up there. For Muskies I would try Yellow Lake, Yellow River(just upstream on little yellow can be good) Lake McKenzie, Bone Lake or Deer Lake. Good luck on your adventure. Also if you are looking for some Largemouth I would just stick around Birch Island. I know there are some really nice fish in there.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the info. I get over to WI once a year, its so hard to leave Lake Mille Lacs , but MN Musky doesn't open until June 7th, so I was looking to get a jump on the Musky fishing, and if that didn't work out, I was going to chase smallies.

thanks again.

Big McKenzie has some nice muskies in it and the DNR says there's too many large mouths and has reduced to size limit on them. Avoid the public landing there, it's way too shallow and just a crappy landing. Use either West Point's or there's another resort on that same road that has a pretty good landing.

You can always stop at the A&H Store and ask Gary where they're biting. He doesn't fish a lot but he gets good info from his customers.

Big McKenzie will work, as well as Yellow. Both have skis, not sure about the smallmouth though. I've caught a few dinks in Yellow in the channel to Little Yellow but I would wager there are some bigger fish around if you can find them.

Thanks Randy, Wisconsin season was excellent! Two of us filled out in two days, both 23+ lbs. One more day for Minnesota archery season, had some opportunities, but nothing on the ground yet.

Hey I am going up to Yellow Lake in Burnett County this Saturday for my bday and I was wondering how the fishing is on the lake and what they are biting on and where are some good spots. I am going to mainly fish for walleye, pike, bass and crappie and was wondering what things are working on this lake. If you can get back to me as soon as possible that would be great.

smufishinkid07

I have fished Yellow a bunch of times on my bday. Was last there Memorial day weekend. Walleyes were on the weed edges, 7-10 fow. Use bright (hot) hooks in glow red or orange. Crawlers and leeches were working. BE AWARE! Limit is 2, and they are checking.

Crappies were also in about 8' but they may be done spawning now and have moved deeper. Couldn't get them to bite on jigs. Needed crappie minnows. Red hook seemed to be the ticket.

Hope this helps, good luck, happy bday!

ok thanks alot man ya i didnt know the limit so thats really good that you told me and ya alot of people are saying orange hooks. So thanks alot for the tips and tactics for this lake.

smufishinkid07

For Yellow Lake, and a lot of other lakes in Burrnett County, the walleye limit is 2 fish - 15" or larger. I fished a couple of lakes in that area over Memorial Day weekend and all the walleyes I got were 14 - 14 1/2". I did get one nice three pound walleye on Yellow on Monday - too bad it had been dead for a while.

I was over on Mid McKenzie over last weekend after I heard word of a crappie bite. We fished for a while but no crappies. We got quite a few bass and a few nice ones. We began throwing for northerns and musky with daredevils. We got a few out by the grass island and my uncle had a nice eye follow his lure to the boat but didnt get it. We ended up with a few gills that was all.

Later

Ryan

The few walleyes I got were all on the north shore of the lake. I was fishing along the drop off in 6 - 10'. You did see that I said the 3 pound fish was dead - it had been dead for more than a week. I snagged it in the side with a jig just right. It pulled away from the boat since I was drifting but it just did not put up much of a fight. I am such a bad walleye fisherman that I would not take my advise but I guess if I got any fish in an area, a better fisherman would do well.