• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New woods

I have been been granted permission to hunt a woods out by plato and been invited to do a walk thur of the land to know where all the fences and lines are and at that time look for a spot to put up a stand an my question is, when would be the time to go out and look it over. I have a ladder stand so I want to make sure I pick out a decent spot and I figured to go out in August unless that is to late. Any help in this would be super.

Thanks

Shwangman

At this time you should be able to see last years rubs, maybe even a few of last years scrapes still... and all major game trails..

I am of the thinking the earlier the better.. Walking around in Aug just before season starts can change the patterns of the deer.

This is just my opinion however... Sooner is always better.. take a GPS along and mark the boundries.

Thank you very much, that is the advise I was hoping to get from someone and I will make plans to go out this weekend for a visit. Thanks Deitz for answering my questions.

Shwangman

Scouting this early in the season will give you a general idea of the deer activity and locations. However, as the summer progresses into fall, the deer will adjust thier patterns based on the preferred forage at that time. Acorns, soybeans, then corn, winter wheat, ect. They all play a role in the decision of stand placement in my opinion. Bedding areas stay generally the same, but the direction they head can change. I guess alot depends on the size of the land you can hunt and the crops, if any. And as far as bucks are concerned, if that's your goal or not, stand placement for them changes with the stages of the rut as well.

It might take a season or so to hone in on the prime locations, just don't trapse around too much, right now a little won't hurt anything, but August or so I'd stay away....a topo map can help too.

Wow, I want to thank all who joined in this post to advise me the rights and wrongs in which i thank all of you!!!!! I did do a map from Yahoo and the another site but, its looks better on the computer than in print but, I will make do. I got a GPS and I thought I would just go an view the woods and then in June, haul out a ladder stand or two or maybe try out my new DB to be mobile!! Thanks again.

Ken

I would agree with scouting now but keep in mind like it has been stated that the does will find the food that is ready first. Come rut, if you know where the does are, you will also find the bucks.

Another key is to see if there is any water holes on this property or where the deer are getting their water as they also need this even more if the weather gets dry.

Thanks for that information, I was just using goggle to look at the area and there is a river or creek between the land and the city of Plato so I will be checking that out this weekend. Thanks HL for the good tips.

If you want good photos, go to the McLeod Co. HSOforum under the GIS department and click on I believe it's interactive maps. They have nice high resolution 07' photo's. Go now to get the general lay of the land with the landowner. Then see if it's alright to come back and walk by yourself to figure things out. Pay attention to what crops are planted around the area. Inquire if it's alright to cut branches/small trees for shooting lanes. Get all the ground rules laid up front so that you don't do something without knowing and loose permission. Put up stands now if you feel confident with a set up. Keep in mind that they'll be out for a while and may end up growing legs and walking away.

Good points an yes, I know what you are talking about with the stands getting legs. I walked the railroad tracks that split the farm and as i was walking, kids were walking on the tracks coming from Plato. I also have a bull that is very protective of his herd so I have to be very carefully in that respect. Thanks for the ideas, I will check into that.