Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
fishnhuntnboy

Canoe Recommendations

Im looking at buying a canoe and Im not sure on what to get. I have looked at the river ridge custom canoes and like them. That would fit my style of life for what I would be using it for. Use would be for fishing and hunting. I dont need anything real big at all and was wondering what recommendations everyone has.

Thanks for any info

Motor or no motor? Planning on doing canoe trips or just puddle jumping? Guests along or just you? Gonna have a dog along on the hunting outings?

Oops sorry about that guys. I would like to have a motor and was planning on a trolling motor. I will probably do one day canoe trips on lakes and rivers and may go from lake to lake through rivers and do both lake and river touring. There would be two people most of the time. I usually never go alone on trips. There will be no dog as I dont have one. Until duck hunting starts, I will do some fishing trips with a couple buddies and a friend and i may go up to the BWCA and do a hunting trip.

I live in Ely for most of the year. I go to college up there and think a canoe will do best for me. I would like to go on the rivers and fish and hunt. Some places i will have to portage in and carry all gear.

Hope this helps out more. If ya need more info jsut ask.

Thanks

The river ridge canoes are short and heavy in my opinion. They are heavy fiberglass boats, made to fish those little rivers down south. For that they work great, but I am not sure I would want to be out in a good chop in one of those.

Since you live in Ely, check with a few outfitters for a good deal on a used rental. A few years ago I got a used souris river quetico 16 for less than $500, and that is on a $2000 retail canoe. Go light if you are going to portage!!

I've got a River Ridge that I use on the MPLS chain, other lakes and ponds in the metro, and small rivers like the Cannon. Its an excellent choice for fishing and hunting out of, but there would be better options if your planning on doing a lot of portage trips being they are kinda heavy as mentioned.

Im sure i will do some portageing, but i know i wont be doing alot of it. One of the reasons i want a canoe is because i have a car and cannot pull a boat and it would be easier to launch. my main uses would be to fish and hunt out of.

For general beater purposes a 17 square stern is a pretty versatile craft. They are fairly stable, run well with a small outboard, haul a load, and can be paddled for moderate distances.

Drawbacks: Its a heavier craft, so if you're thinking about packing into Angleworm lake - good luck! (For moderate portaging, can be handled easily) Doesn't paddle as well as a true paddling canoe.

There are plenty of such canoes to be found in want ads, some of the outfitters in Ely, etc.

Since you're in school I'm thinking cash is probably not bulging in your pockets, and some of the more specialized (and expensive) craft might not be as feasible.

During my youth the 17 and 19 squares were pretty much a staple craft of the Ely locals. They were portaged and paddled and dragged over most of the BWCA and Quetico.

Thanks for the help guys. If you have any more info let me know. Right now I am in Isanti so it would be hard to get a canoe in ely unless if i wait till i go back to school

Keep an eye peeled at garage sales, auctions, etc. You'd be surprised how many canoes are sitting in garages, barns and backyards throughout the Midwest.

Hey when you're in Ely check out the Outward Bound School as well, they sometimes auction off canoes. That's where mine is from, its a pretty beat up Old Town Tripper, but she floats and I got her free since my uncle worked for Outward Bound for a while

fishnhuntnboy, I thought I would add my 2 cent's worth to the good advice you've allready been given here. My take on what kind of canoe would best suit your purpose's would be a 17 foot Grumman Aluminum. If I remember correctly, I think they only weigh 86 lbs. Not as light as the We-no-nah Kevlar's certainly but not too bad at all. I bought mine when I was about your age.(Eon's ago!)lol! I kept that canoe for nearly 50 year's! It got used, abused, dropped, borrowed, and various and sundry other form's of torture. Not once did it ever fail me. Probably the most stable canoe I've ever been in. Another place where you could look for it would be on hsolist. I've seen them listed there nore than once. Also when you get back up in Ely, go talk to Jim Blauch at Moose Track Lodge. He is a good egg and all-around nice guy. Tell him Dirtball sent you. Good luck in your search! 1DIRTBALL

PS- Don't be afraid to buy a 17 ft Grumman, even if it's full of dent's. Just go into your hammer mode!

Lol only weigh 86 pounds, good one smile That said they are tanks. I just don't like that they sound like a 12 gauge when you drop a lure or a sinker in them... so noisy for fishing. ALthough my family's grumman had a tree dropped on it and is still kickin.

thanks for the info dirtball. when i go back up there this fall i will have to go there and look. i will have to keep my eyes peeled and look for great buys

thanks everyone for the help. if ya have anymore info please post

hsolist has had a bunch of canoes on there lately, some real good deals on slightly used canoes. When I was going to school, my buddy and I went in on a Old Town Discovery, both of our folks said it was a bad idea, 20 years later they said it was a great idea! laugh

The Discovery was a great canoe for us, since it was plastic it wasn't as loud as an aluminum. We beat the heck out of that canoe, it's been dragged over hundreds of beaver dams, made dozens of trips up into the BW, and was my main fishing rig up until a couple years ago. She even survived getting airborne at 70 mph on Hwy 94! If I had to do it again, I'd go with the same canoe. But that's only if I was younger, the ol Disco was also known as "The Pig". Now that I've passed the 40 mark, I find myself gravitating towards lighter canoes these days. Good luck with your search.

Back in the day most canoes weighed 75-90 lbs. It is still possible to portage an 86 lb. canoe and they will take more abuse than the leading edge high tech lighter models.