• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ranger 1760 angler

mrjigger

I am looking at the Ranger 1760 angler.

Does anyone know anything about these Ranger models? Likes, dislikes. How they handle big water?

The boat is rated for a 130hp, but most the dealerships are packaging them with 115 four strokes. Will this be underpowered?

any other comments?

thanks.

I think a 115hp on a 130hp boat will do just fine... you're within the 75% of rated hp rule of thumb...

I think the other part of why you're seeing 115's is because there aren't many 130's out there... lots of 135's, but not many 130's.

marine_man

I have a Ranger 1850 and like it. I use it on big water a lot, Mille Lacs, Winnie, Upper Red, Erie, etc. Have not been on the water in the 1750/1760 models so I can't help you there, but like all boats, you'll be fine as long as you use your head and don't go out in conditions that are unsafe or that you're not prepared for.

They are about a 40 mph boat with a 115, depending on which motor and how much other stuff you have in the boat, kicker, etc. Not speed demons but adequate. Rangers are more about ride quality than about speed.

ok thanks. next question. with a 115 4st. would I need a kicker for trolling cranks? currently I have a 175vmax with a kicker, I am looking to downsize a little with gas prices and other reasons. how slow will a 115 troll down? calm conditions I am thinking I could use electric for trolling to go slower

There's a lot of guys that think a 115 4-stroke won't go slow enough for trolling cranks. And I'm one of them. And I've been out trolling with 115 4-strokes where we've gone faster than we should have been going.

If you want to get under 2.5 you're probaby going to need to use drift socks or change the prop or use some other tricks to drop your speed.

i have a 1750 reata, which is basically the same boat methinks. The only knock I have on the 115 is that the hole shot is lacking. Even going down in prop size, it still isnt that good. With my aluminum power prop on, I can only go about 32-34. With my stainless, I can touch 40, mebbe a wee bit more in perfect conditions. I would make sure I get a stainless as there is a distinct difference in performance. Note, I am not a speed demon nor do I need a head-whipping hole shot, but it is a little slow to plane. The ride is good and I like the boat. Due to the design, it has as much interior room as boats 2 feet longer (measure them up if you dont believe me, I did).

I just got one about 4 weeks ago the 1760 single console and I really like it. I am just finishing the break in period and I can run 47 mph by myself in the boat. 2 guys and both live wells full you get around 40. It is great on rough water and you stay pretty dry. I have fished 4 people and it was still pretty comfortable as long as the people know what they are doing. A few things to note. I upgraded to a 70lb 24v thrust trolling motor, the 55 seemed a little too small. in the rear battery compartment there is a breaker so if you dont have power to the electronics press the black lever down. The dual on board charger is for 2 trolling motor batteries for the 24v system, it does not charge the starting battery. and finally in the rear of the boat on the floor there is a black cover, under the cover is a fuel shutoff switch. make sure the hose clamp screw is not blocking the ability to turn on the fuel. those three tips could save you a few hours of frustration when the dealership is closed smile

on the 115 trolling, I have the yamaha 115 4 stroke and it goes over 2.5 at idle. That is the second reason I went to a 24v trolling motor. this weekend I trolled the lake on saturday from about 10:30am until 4:00pm then sunday was out at 5:00 am and left the lake at 6:00pm. With gas at over $4 a gallon for premium the motor is on for about 15 min during the day. I am the guy who trolls 300 yards and fishes the space in between rather then fire up the motor for the 10 sec ride.

thanks for all the input.

Bobbersdown,

I was also going to upgrade to the 70lb bow mount. Dealership has a 55lb on it currently.

One thing I am concerned about is how low the Rangers sit in the water. Especially the transom. It has a 26" transom, but just from looking at pictures, the rear of the boat just seems to ride very low in the water.

I am also thinking of putting on a kicker. Which would add more weight to the transom. I know you have not had the boat long, but have you ever been concerned about too much water coming over the back of the boat?

I am also thinking of putting on a kicker. Which would add more weight to the transom. I know you have not had the boat long, but have you ever been concerned about too much water coming over the back of the boat?

Rangers sit low in the water, that's the way they are designed, you can see what I mean when you compare them to some other brands of glass boats. I haven't been in the boat you're looking at, but I wouldn't expect it to take in water over the transom. Unless you're talking about backtrolling? You can backtroll with these boats but they're really not designed for it, due to the whole design of the transom. If you want a boat to backtroll with there are a lot of better options out there.

Rangers are very stable boats, it is very unlikely that a kicker motor or extra people in the boat or even 3 guys standing on the side of the boat where the kicker is fighting and netting a fish is going to list the boat very noticably. Again, compare that to some other brands of glass boats and they will feel "tippy" in comparison.

And I mentioned this already, but Rangers have a well-deserved reputation for a great ride and a dry ride, and for being one of the slower glass hulls out there.

I don't mean to rain on YourBobbersDown parade, but don't think you're going to get 47 mph out of your boat. Maybe you can touch it in perfect conditions with a super-lightly loaded boat, but it's not something you're going to achieve very often. If you're buying that boat with a 115 and setting it up for overall performance, ie. for holeshot and for good performance with a loaded boat, your reasonable expectation for speed should be 40 mph top end, probably not that good when loaded. Maybe it will be a tick or two better than that, but not much. I just point this out because I hate seeing people buy something and having unreasonable speed expectations. Here's an example of what I mean - for a while I was running a prop on my boat that would hit 54 mph with a super-light boat, but it would only do 44-45 mph when I had the boat loaded for fishing and had 2 guys with me. Now I have a prop that will maybe hit 50 with a light load, but will still do 47+ with a super-heavy boat including 2 or 3 guys with me. I think it's much better overall performance, even though I gave up some speed with a light boat.

I was on green lake last weekend messing around with it and it said 49 on speedo so i checked gps and I was going 47.2 mph. I never knew how much difference you can get from trimming up a motor. I was driving it for a few weeks all the way down and doing about 35 then i was reading the manual and it said to trim up for better speed. It almost sounds like it is out of the water and it just roars across the lake. I think the 115 is a good motor choice, but my last boat was a 16ft tracker with a 40 horse 4 stroke so I dont have a lot to compare it too.

I dont have any issues with water coming in the back, but as perch said if you are planning on backtrolling a lot I would look at a different boat. Wave wackers may help but not sure if they even make em for that boat.

YBD - I thought I remembered seeing photos of your boat in the thread on new rigs, so I looked back and found it - single console (so obviously no walk-thru windshield), no bowmount or deep cycle batteries, no kicker motor, right? That's why you're able to get so much speed out of it, the way you have it set up it's a very light version of that boat.

Rigged out with the extra stuff I mentioned it would run closer to 40 like I said previously.

One ohter thing I should mention is that I tend to think Reata since that's what I own, but the Anglers are 1 or maybe 2 mph faster than the Reatas due to the console placement and related weight being farther back in the boat.

No kicker but i did put on a minkota 70lb terrova 24v with copilot I LOVE COPILOT!! greatest thing since sliced bread for me. Nothing like controlling your trolling motor with your wrist. Plus I do have some special 4 blade aluminum prop on there too so i think that may help. I took the picture after I pulled the 55lb thrust off and put it on my old boat before i sold it. but yeah i went for single console i figured since I make the payment im the only one that gets a windshield smile