Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
311Hemi

Mower engine smoked and leaking oil?

9 posts in this topic

Buddy mentioned his walk behind mower started smoking this past weekend and shut down.....he said it was leaking oil somewhere around the engine after this happened, and out of the exhaust from his description.

Not sure if it still turns over or not.

I have not had a chance to look at it yet.....but could it be a head gasket or something like that? Just trying to get idea on what may have happened and or if it's worth looking at.

There was oil in the machine when it happened.

I'm assuming it was a 4 stroke mower, Briggs or Tehcumseh....Was he using it on a hill where it was tipped to one side? Was the oil level correct? If the engine oil gets up close enough to the crankcase breather for some reason, it then gets sucked into the carb and it will blow out lots of smoke and potenially kill the motor. He can check the oil level, drain if its too high or add if its low. Clean the plug, and try restarting it. If it simply sucked oil through the breather, it should clean up and run ok on level ground. The head gasket is not the problem.

Yes, it is a 4 stroke, most likely of one of those brands. I believe the oil level was correct and his yard is flat so it was not tipped to one side.

Assuming that all of that is ok then my first suggestion is to do a compression test. That will determine the next step to take. If it is low, the condition of the rest of the mowor will dictate if it is worth repairing or not.

Good idea...not sure why I didn't think of that! Now where did my compression tester go......hmmmm

Have him check the oil level.

A leaking inlet valve(needle and seat) in the carb will let gas run into the crank. That brings the oil level up. The engine will run rough, smoke and push oil out the exhaust.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!!!

I gave him some things to check out last night and it sounds like the air filter was clogged with grass and once he cleaned it it seemed to stop losing oil and stopped the excessive smoking. I think the breather tube may be routed to the air filter and that was causing the issue with the air filter being clogged.

Thats a thought.... I suppose, technically the carb is going to draw in air from the path of least resistance. The air cleaner must have become so plugged that it was as easy to pull crankase air as fresh air, so it used both. Must have been running really crappy before it quit..... wink Glad he got it going!

No idea.....it's was just a thought. It was not running very crappy from the sounds of it, so maybe it's something entirely different...I guess time will tell!!!

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• That little doe is a sweetheart. Reminds me why I gave up hunting. But I did it for more than six decades from MN to MT to AK and Canada. Before somebody jumps in with a snide  comment, I don't care if YOU do it but it is just not for me any more. Carry on. Nice pix....couple nice looking bucks.
    • I fish for monster bass too. But yeah, when one is the master of walleyes one tends to be an elitist... 
    • I agree; stay away from the extended warranty.  If my dealership (Village Chevrolet) won't honor the original warranty, what makes you think they will honor an extended warranty?  This problem was discovered well before my warranty ran out and they still treated me like an ugly sister...
    • Knock yourself out. IMO, pro basketball is a terrible sport.         -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------           Here's what they think of the Gophers in Iowa.....    
    • Wait till they lose the game.....  
    • You two must be elitist walleye guys. 
    • I can't say I'm much in agreement with Gary Johnson on this issue and I can admit it. I will say however that it makes more sense than the deal Pence struck with Carrier.   1. The carrier deal handed away state money while still being a net LOSS of jobs in that state. Johnson's program enticed new business into his state and resulted in a net GAIN of jobs and probably tourism dollars as well.  2. I think these types of deals should be handled as locally as possible. It's called representative government. Maybe it makes sense in the New Mexico deal that it be handled at the state level since it probably effects the state as a whole at least to some degree but I don't know. The Indiana deal should have been handled locally, especially if any of the tax cuts promised were property taxes. Those benefit communities at a more local level and the jobs saved benefit communities at a more local level. The state government possibly should not be handling these things but the Federal Government most assuredly should not be involved in these deals.  3. I'm pretty sure that the threat of interference with federal contracts had much more to do with the Carrier deal anyway so why did they give Carrier any tax breaks? I thought Trump was a tough guy and a strong armer? In the New Mexico deal, tax cuts are about the only leverage someone would have to bring that extra revenue and jobs into the state.   I'll say it again, I'm really not in favor of the government picking winners and losers. I do think the Pence deal is something that happens every day but the only difference is it happens at a local level and you don't have a blow hard President-elect taking credit for it normally. Time will tell whether it was a good deal or if the rest of the manufacturing community will hold the Government for ransom now like every professional sports franchise does these days.    Gary Johnson is in favor of replacing the current Tax code with a 'Fair Tax" system.
    • I think Purple means, our BullHeads!
    • I replaced my transducer on my  fl 18 with a proview  last winter very pleased with it. I thought my vexilar was going bad it was not picking up my hook anymore.  Replaced my transducer with a new proview worked great last spring crappie fishing. Replacing the transducer on my fl 12 with a proview this week.
  • Our Sponsors