Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Farmboy1

Mille Lacs Nets-More Found

24 posts in this topic

Well, it has happened again. The nets that are "balled up" on the bottom, not fishing, have killed many fish.

From Steve Fellegy:

The following photo's were taken 300 yds. east of Myr Mar Marina this past

Tuesday evening. A boat engine killed upon wrapping it up in the prop. Many

walleyes were left floating being knocked out of the net by the prop...so

only about 50 left for the photo. ALL rotten!

The Messenger won't give details nor publish the photo's!

The dates on the photos are wrong should be May 20th, 7 pm. 2008 The

neighbor didn't have the camera date set up right.

SF

nets1.jpg

nets2.jpg

nets3.jpg

Of course these nets were sunk to the bottom, are not still catching fish, and do not count against the quota, and do not pose a risk to boaters or wildlife, and are for elders...........

Please send these to your local newspapers, news organizations, legislators, etc.

As a note to the original message, the Messenger did publish these photos after saying they would not, but when the photos were published in different papers (Brainerd Dispatch, and a few others) they did publish it. Here is the article.

Net found on north side

More than 70 fish in net

Dave Quast of Aitkin hooked a net full of walleyes last week in various stages of decomposition. He submitted pictures to the Messenger saying the dates were wrong because the date setting on his camera is wrong.

Along with the pictures, Quast sent this message:

"These are pictures I took last night on my property on Mille Lacs lake. I went out fishing and caught this net in the prop of my boat and pulled it to shore. There were more than 70 fish in this net, in all stages of decomposition. Some were as fresh as a day old. These nets continue to kill fish. These nets were put out by the indian netters this spring, before the ice was completely off the lake, and were lost when the ice shifted. This is a travesty that should not be allowed to happen, but it continues because our politicians and media do not have a backbone to speak of. I would appreciate it if you would publish these photos in your paper to spread the word about this disaster that is happening on Mille Lacs lake."

On May 20, two gill nets were recovered from the Garrison Bay area.

The nets were recovered about six hours apart. One was found by an angler, who reported it to the DNR. The second net was found by a DNR survey crew. Both were investigated by GLIFWC wardens.

The nets contained 59 and 58 pounds of walleye, 31 and 17 pounds of yellow perch and 15 and 5 pounds of northern pike.

On April 29, 15 gill nets were lost in Garrison Bay when the ice shifted, trapping nets below the surface of the ice.

A gill net found by anglers last week on the east side of the lake by Big Point was turned over to GLIFWC by the Minnesota DNR. It looked like it had been in the water for some time, Rasmussen said.

GLIFWC investigated the net but found no tribal identification tags required prior to launching and fishing. Its origin is unknown, Rassmussen said, and there is no record of a lost net that could be associated with the Big Point gill net. "There is no indication it is a tribal net," Rasmussen said.

Of the 15 nets lost on April 29, 12 have been found (not counting the Big Point net). Three nets remain unaccounted for.

Quast did not say if he reported the net to the DNR or GLIFWC, or if this net was the one reportedly found by an angler on May 20.

Check back to this page for updates, including a comment from the Great Lakes Indian Fish and Wildlife Commission

That's just a horrible site. What a waste of great fish. I don't understand how it's OK to loose nets and not account for them. Bad practice if you ask me.

GLIFWC investigated the net but found no tribal identification tags required prior to launching and fishing. Its origin is unknown, Rassmussen said, and there is no record of a lost net that could be associated with the Big Point gill net. "There is no indication it is a tribal net," Rasmussen said.

Riiiight! madmadmad

When ANYONE is going to use gillnets they need to be held more accountable than they are now to ensure timely removal regardless of the conditions.

With the right it is their responsibility to not waste OUR shared heritage.

Nets need to be registered with a permit attached and they should verify they are taken off the lake and checked in a timely manner.

The penalty for this type of waste of our heritage through the irresponsible use of a gillnet needs to be at least as hefty and wide ranging as poaching. Maybe it already is?

Illegal gillnetting is another matter and needs tough sanctions as well.

That being said let's all be sure to know forum policy before posting on this subject and stay within the policy.

I have private information from the person who was there when the pictures were taken that there was a tag on it. The tag number is #340, but does not have any other information. I am sure that with all the information kept on the netting persons and nets, this should be very easy to find who it belongs to........

It has not been proven to be a native net, and the GLIFWC will problably let us know who this net belongs to...........

and then issue a sitation and quota reduction for every day it was left in the water..........

If this is a native/tribal net something s/b done . Do you will think we will hear anything if it is??

Hopefully the responsible party will be found and dealt with appropriately.

If this is a native/tribal net something s/b done . Do you will think we will hear anything if it is??

Not a chance.

come on guys giv'em a break, they've only been netting since 1854. I sure that in another 50-100 years they'll hav'er down pat.

what a disgrace. then they try to claim it isn't theirs! like us Caucasian folks have so many gill nets out! unbelievable and then they don't get it against their quota or anything. Boils my blood just talking about it!

What do I have to say about this? It was already reported that they lost some netts! Did I ever deny that? What do you think they just disappeared? Glad somebody found them! Thats my response if thats what you want to hear! Accidents do happen I guess! Is that enuff for you? Oh I lefty out the part that its still their right to nett! But I think who's ever netts they belong to personally/individually should lose there netting privliges for a season anyway!

Where did they claim it was'nt theirs? I must have missed something cause I seen no comment from them about this. All they said was no inducation of a tribal nett which is stated in the story of no ID on it. Your making this a race issue by bringing race into it again! Go let you blood boil at one of them meetings where guy where white hoods and [PoorWordUsage] like that! If you dont know whta i'm talking about it starts with K and ends with K!

What do I have to say about this? It was already reported that they lost some netts! Did I ever deny that? What do you think they just disappeared? Glad somebody found them! Thats my response if thats what you want to hear! Accidents do happen I guess! Is that enuff for you? Oh I lefty out the part that its still their right to nett! But I think who's ever netts they belong to personally/individually should lose there netting privliges for a season anyway!

For a season? Not nearly enough time. If I took an extra 50 eyes out of there and got caught, what would I face? I'm sure I wouldn't be fishing again. eek

You're right accidents happen. One net might be an accident, I would call loosing a net irresponsible and not an accident. I'm glad you're glad someone found them, but for me that's not enough and it isn't the point. This is just a prime example of how this can and is hurting the resource we all share. I would think "responsible" netters would feel the same way.

You aint got the right to nett tho! Do you? The world dont revolve around you and your judgement. I hope the Mille lacs band dont ask you to hand out punishment! Geez lol

Where did they claim it was'nt theirs? I must have missed something cause I seen no comment from them about this. All they said was no inducation of a tribal nett which is stated in the story of no ID on it. Your making this a race issue by bringing race into it again! Go let you blood boil at one of them meetings where guy where white hoods and [PoorWordUsage] like that! If you dont know whta i'm talking about it starts with K and ends with K!

Wow, all the stops were pulled out with that remark! Are you seriously gunna pool a white serpremisist group with fellow fisherman? Cmon guy I hope you've got more sense than that... Correct me if im wrong, but when is the last time you've know of anyone other than Indians placing gill nets in Mille Lacs? I hope this comes to a close real fast, and those who placed those nets lose there rights to every legally be on any body of water again! Also just a thought, but would it be possible to remove the tribal tags that make there nets so easily indentifable?

Correct me if im wrong, but when is the last time you've know of anyone other than Indians placing gill nets in Mille Lacs?

I've heard tales that nearly every resort/launch used to put nets out. Now I can't state that as a fact, but it's not that hard to believe that there are some (key word) scumbags out there abusing our resources for their own benefit.

Oh boy! AngelicFatum: How dare you say such blasphemous things about the beloved resort owners. You are walking a very thin line my friend and I'm sure your about to find out.

liljohnson: I've been suspended on this forum for making fun of Pro fisherman. I'm not kidding! Then I read the filth others write about Natives and I wonder how is this different. They had no facts and it was purely opinion! Not much different than the another threads that were started here recently... I get the feeling it's fine to voice your thoughts about Natives but it's not OK to criticize resorts, guides, or Pro's... It's sad, very sad...Be careful!

Quote:

For a season? Not nearly enough time. If I took an extra 50 eyes out of there and got caught, what would I face? I'm sure I wouldn't be fishing again. eek

I don't think the MN DNR does much more than a stiff fine and several year suspension of fishing privileges for an over limit.

Both the tribes and our govts have DNR depts and court systems that handle this kind of stuff, I suggest we let them. Besides, I really don't think anyone here is qualified to be Judge, Jury, and Executioner!!

Does anyone here really think someone said I can't find that net, and doesn't make any effort to recover their net? They are probably pretty sure there are fish to be had(food) and they also have some investment in netting and anchors, I don't think anyone would just walk away without any effort to find the net.

Dont they offer free schooling on the res?

what a disgrace. then they try to claim it isn't theirs! like us Caucasian folks have so many gill nets out! unbelievable and then they don't get it against their quota or anything. Boils my blood just talking about it!

All it takes is a row boat, no lights and a gill net. Anyone that wants to take the risk before opener at night could have placed those nets with out identification on them. For all we know the ice snuck up on some poachers as well. I would not pass this off as tribal gill nets as of yet. I have always felt that some MN angler poachers think, well if they can do it, I am going to do it.

Heck and why not? The regular MN angler's that on occasion gets caught every with a couple hundred walleye in coolers or rubber maid containers at the launch or coming home puts a lot of time into their poaching. The gill net would cut this time in half and if you do not think there are tried and true MN anglers out there that do not poach with gill nets, well you better open your eyes.

I also have heard years ago locals and business people from around the area using gill nets as a form to get walleye for their establishments and such. We are talking from the 20’s-30’s. Actually it is a very effective way to get fish. Ah, well, all we can do is rant and point fingers. Really that is all we can do.

Good luck dudes!