• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

gas grill not fully heating

Nelso

Question

I have a CharBroil gas grill with cast iron burners that is going on five years old. Last weekend, it worked fine on Friday night and then Saturday it would only put out minimal heat. The propane tank is over half full. If I turned on all three burners the first two would then go out. At first I was thinking the regulator was bad. Went to HD and picked up a new one and installed it with the same results. So then I thought the valve or something in the tank must have gone bad when I moved it from our patio deck to the patio (two steps). Returned the regulator and lp tank for a new tank. Upon hooking up the new tank and firing up the grill I was then cooking with gas, temperatures rose to 500+. Then about 10-15 minutes later, the problem came back. I couldn't get more than about 250 degrees from it. I am stumped at this point. I only thing I can think of is that the gas rail must have some debris or something in it restricting gas flow. However, the sideburner has only a minimal flame as well and that is teed off of the regulator connection. Any thoughts? Sorry for the long post.

8 answers to this question

How did you turn it off the last time it worked? The proper way to start the grill is to open the tank first and then the knobs on the grill. To turn it off, turn the knobs off on the grill 1st and then turn the tank off. If you do it the opposite way it can cause air lock. Try turning it on and off the proper way and it will fix it if that's the problem.

Have you tried to clean out the burner? I had that problem with a Charbroil and called them. They told me to take the burner out and put a gardon hose in where the gas goes in. Did that and all kinds of stuff blew out of it. Worked fine from that time on.

Would it air lock during use? I had the grill fully heated up and about 15 minutes later it was back down to minimal heat. I haven't had a chance to look at it since I posted my original question, maybe tonight. Thanks for all the input.