Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Iambjm

Elk Steaks

A relative gave me some elk steaks, need suggestions for grilling/cooking so I don't mess them up.

Don't overcook them!! They'll go from tender and flavorful to tough and tasteless. No more than medium. Other than that use your favorite venison or beef recipes.

If they are very lean, I like to brush them with melted butter while grilling med/low. Melt half a stick of butter in the microwave and to that add either some "montreal" steak seasoning or pepper, garlic powder, and some salt. Med-rare please grin This is still my favorite simple way to do venison...

As for the grilling, I think alot depends on how thick you cut them. If butterflied and thinner (like 1/2 to 3/4"), I'm a fan of high heat, two minutes or so a side. That way, you get the outer grill marks with a bit of crustiness, yet the middle is still a little red. I'll confess this is probably closer to rare than med. rare, but such is the joy of eating something you trust was processed in a clean fashion.

Anything thicker, and I think grilling them slower is a better idea. That way, it cooks through better without getting the overdone on the outside, under-done on the inside kind of deal.

Joel

I agree. Slow cooking and med-rare for me. The gamey taste comes out if you overcook them. We've been doing alot of moose steaks and moose burgers lately. Same thing with them.

Well I had elk last night, I really like it the hubby didn't. He insisted on his well done and then wouldn't eat it grrrrrr mad I had mine medium rare yummmmmm.

Some people don't understand that you cannot cook wild game (veni, moose, elk, even bison for that matter) well done and have it enjoyable. I'm still trying to convince my wife the same thing. I've cooked wild game for her when she doesn't know what it is and she loves it. When it's cooked her way, she always lets me know why she doesn't like it. When we'd go out to eat, she used to order her steaks well done and I'd cringe. She's moved up to medium, so at least there's hope!

Agreed, overcooking (anything past medium for venison) is the worst thing you can do. First, you take a piece of meat that's incredibly lean to begin with, and cook out what little fat/juices it has left. Second, you actually chemically alter the meat's protien enzymes, drastically increasing the "gameiness." Once the meat gets dull-gray, it's all over folks!

Joel

Them things are very harmful to please let me know where you live and i will stop over and take them off your hands. I know how to dispose of them.

i had the last of our elk steaks from this winter on saturday.... cooked exactly as folks said on here..... little grill seasoning, slow cooked on each side.... they were juicy, tender, and amazing....

should i do the same with venison steaks? we have a few left as well-- or should i marinade them first?