• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hey guys, my dad and I are looking to do a canoe float down the flambeau in the next couple of weeks. We would mostly fish for muskies, but also fish for some smallies and walleyes. Last summer we floated from ninemile to oxbow and saw quite a few people fishing for muskies and even saw a few fish on the surface, but we didnt have much for fishing gear. I was just wondering what are some of the better stretches to float for muskies? I am sure the water levels are in good shape and there shouldnt be too much weed growth yet, so those shouldnt be issues.

Any help would be appreciated and I'll be sure to post a report regardless.

Dont know much about the river, but I know Tanner Wildes fishes it quite a bit.. He runs a guide service out of the Hayward area. Do a search for his name and guide service and give him a call. Am sure he will help you out.

I've fished that stretch of river many times. It's all good. I like the stretch from the Crowley [PoorWordUsage] down to Deadman Slough. If you have the time, float all the way to the Oxbo. Personally, I like the stretch from Oxbo down to the Big Bear. This stretch seems to get less pressure then the Crowley/Oxbo stretch.

There are big fish throughout that river, though most run less than 40". I know of a 54" caught and released about 3 years ago and personally had a 50" plus up to the boat...and couldn't quite seal the deal. Your best friend on the river? A black Tallywacker. No reason to bring anything else, except a net and release tools.

Brian

just got back from out trip and fishing was tough. we raised a few muskies every day and had a few really hot follows, but never hooked into a fish. the biggest fish we saw was a upper 30's to low 40's that followed my swimbait really hot and then i practically pulled it out of his mouth of an awkward figure eight attempt. fishing out of the canoe was difficult, especially figure eighting on follows. we came to the consensus that the water was still a little cold as not many other people we talked to were catching fish on the river either. (that is our excuse anyway, ha)

overall, it was still a good trip. managed some smallies, a couple northerns, and a walleye and saw tons of wildlife. lots of deer on the roads, so be careful...