• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Am I reading this right? cross bows are now legal for bear

Just read in the latest outdoor news that crossbows are now legal for bear an ya have to buy a license for bear prior to baiting instead of baiting then decide if you want to hunt. Has any one read this yet an am I reading it right? If so I guesse I have to buy a new toy an would be very excited to bag a bruin with a crossbow, certainly would be my new weapon of choice. Boar

So does this mean that if an outfitter hasn't been drawn for a tag themselves they can not bait, and they will have to put their clients names on the bait sites??? If so that should cut down on the number of baits to compete against on state land!

So does this mean that if an outfitter hasn't been drawn for a tag themselves they can not bait, and they will have to put their clients names on the bait sites??? If so that should cut down on the number of baits to compete against on state land!

They can still bait for clients. The same scenario plays out for non-guided hunts. Say you live in Rochester and your buddy is baiting for you in Grand Rapids. That's still legal, he just needs to have your information (name, MDNR number) when tending the bait sites.

I hope that clears it up.

I thought crossbows always were legal. I thought you could always use them in place of a gun, just not during the bow season.

The legislature enacted that last year but it was for deer only. This year they extended it to turkeys and bears.

Minnesota law requires a hunter to have a disability permit issued by the state, signed by a doctor to allow the use of a crossbow.

That only applies for use during the regular archery season. During the 2007 legislative session, they legalized crossbows during the firearm season for everyone (basically adds it as a legal weapon for firearm hunting). This year, they legalized crossbows for bear and turkeys during A-H if you have a firearm license. In other words, you can't use a crossbow if you buy one of the bow turkey permits over the counter but you can use one if you drew the permit and could legally use a gun.